The Burdekin Shire Council will this year spend more than $13 million in capital works on its roads – its second largest expenditure in history.
Burdekin Mayor Bill Lowis said this large expenditure included more than $7.6 million in National Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) funding.
In addition to the NDRRA funding, council will embark on capital works valued at $5.74 million.
“Residents will see a big improvement in the road network in many parts of the shire, particularly those areas affected by floods earlier this year,” he said.
“Roads that will be worked on this financial year include Ivory Road with Pearce’s Bridge being widened and reconstruction and widening of the approaches at an estimated cost of $313,000,” he said.
“Burke Street, from Edwards Street to Chippendale Street including the hospital roundabout, will be reconstructed in conjunction with NDRRA with council contributing $220,000 toward that project.
“Rita Island Road, from Nuttall Road, also will be reconstructed in conjunction with NDRRA funding.”
Other road projects include:
- Bitumen surfacing of Sayers Road up to the intersection with Hughes Road – $450,000.
- Completion of bitumen surfacing on Baker Road – $225,000.
- Bitumen widening and kerbing and channelling of Clayton Street between Andersen and Ross streets.
- Airdmillan Road - bitumen widening from Ferguson Road to Parker Road.
Council enters its third year of the kerbing and channelling program with $742,000 being allocated out of this year’s budget.
Areas to be targeted in this round of the program include:
- Brandon – Munro Street, Spiller Street to Evans Street to end.
- Home Hill – Thirteenth Avenue, from Twelfth Street to Fourteenth A Street; Fourteenth A Street, from Thirteenth Avenue to Fifteenth Street; Fourteenth Avenue, from Fourteenth A Street to end; Fifteenth Street, from Fourteenth A Street to Fourteenth Avenue; Twelfth Street, from Thirteenth Avenue to Fourteenth Avenue.
New footpaths will also be constructed including:
- Wickham Street between Young and Mackenzie streets.
- Adelaide Street between Norham Road and Chippendale Street.
- Beach Road from Chippendale to Crofton streets.