Burdekin Shire Council is seeking an experienced Media and Communications Officer to play a key role in maintaining and developing Council’s communication channels and social media assets.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the key responsibilities include:
- Implementation of the Social Media Strategy including the review and update of the Social Media Policy.
- Manage, monitor and drive growth on existing and new social media platforms and work closely with Council Executive to create and post engaging content on Social Media channels.
- Support the broader public relations and marketing goals of council by assisting to research and write feature articles, speeches, newsletters, briefings, reports, scripts, display materials and publications.
- Provide assistance to the Economic Development section to ensure development strategies and projects are promoted effectively throughout the media and the community by utilising Council talent and resources efficiently.
- Provide similar advice and assistance to all other sections of Council on promotional opportunities, media and marketing opportunities, and community engagement projects as they occur.
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes:
- A tertiary education or at least three years relevant experience in Communications or Journalism.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the role of communications and public relations in a corporate environment.
- Excellent writing skills, especially in the production of media releases, feature articles and promotional literature.
- Knowledge about the operations of media organisations, have a strong news sense and an understanding of media work processes and information needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Applicants should familiarise themselves with the entire position description.
The applicable salary is to a ceiling of Level 5 ($77,682) with commencing salary dependent upon the skills and experience of the successful applicant.
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office on (07) 4783 9800 or you can download the application package using the following link.
- Job Vacancy 17/05 - Media and Communications Officer - (pdf 437.1 kB)
Applications for 17/05 – Media and Communications Officer should include:
- A cover letter
- A current resume
- Statements addressing the selection criteria found on the last page of the Position Description
Applications are to be submitted online using the Online Job Application Form.
Applications close on Monday, 27 February, 2017 at 5.00pm. Word or PDF format is preferable.
For further information please contact the Chief Executive Officer – Terry Brennan on (07) 4783 9800.