An application is to be made to Council when a concrete crossover/driveway or a new or additional driveway is to be installed.
Types of driveways covered by the application form include:-
- Concrete the driveway (normal driveway);
- Construct an exposed aggregate driveway (like a pebble tex driveway);
- Construct a crossover (a culvert type driveway);
- Construct an industrial crossover (for an industrial business where large trucks need to use the driveway and a stronger driveway is required); and
- Construct an additional access (where there is already an access and another access is to be put in).
When an application is made, Council Technical Officers will set the levels for the driveway for drainage purposes and also check for any Council services, i.e. water pipes, that might be under the driveway location. Applicants will receive notification of approval by post but may proceed with works once the “white pegs” or level markers have been set. Applicants should contact Dial Before You Dig on 1100 before doing any work to make sure there are no underground services in the area to be excavated.
Council does not set levels for a Material Change of Use (MCU) application. The plans issued by the designer should show the levels for all crossovers at a scale of 1:50 and these will be assessed by Council.
A fee only applies if the applicant requires an additional access to the property.
Who to Contact
If you would like to install any of the above…
Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.
You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.
|Customer Service Centre|
|Location||145 Young Street,|
Ayr QLD 4807
|Postal Address||PO Box 974|
Ayr QLD 4807
|Opening hours||8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)|
|Phone||(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours|
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
|Fax||(07) 4783 9999|
|SMS||0437 886 008|
|Online||Use the Online Contact Form|
|Building Certification and Plumbing Officers|
|Early Opening||Please phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.|
|For all media enquiries please email|
|Compliments and Complaints|
|The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.|
If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the
We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you consented to the disclosure
- you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.
Your emal address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.