Town Planning

Town Planning Department

The Town Planning Department of the Burdekin Shire Council provides a fast and efficient service on all matters related to land use planning.  Our service, provided by qualified and experienced staff, ensures full compliance with the Integrated Development Assessment System (IDAS) under the provisions of the Sustainable Planning Act (SPA) 2009 and subsequent amendments.  Officers ensure all proposals are assessed in accordance with specific provisions contained in all relevant planning instruments.

  • Current Development Applications

    View information about the Development Applications under review by the Burdekin Shire Council.


    The following Development Applications have been received by the Council and are under review.

  • Decided Development Applications

    View information about the Development Applications that have been decided by the Burdekin Shire Council.


    The following Development Applications have been decided by the Council and are still in the appeal period.

  • Developer Contributions

    Developer Contributions are payments made by developers to enable Council to provide new infrastructure (e.g. water, sewerage, roads, public parks & stormwater).


    Development contributions are payments made by developers to enable Council to provide public amenities and services required for new residents and businesses. Contributions are imposed by way of a condition of development consent or complying development and can be satisfied by:

    • Dedication of land
    • A monetary contribution
    • A material public benefit or
    • A combination of some or all of the above.

    The Sustainable Planning Act 2009 makes provision for Council to enter into voluntary planning agreements as the means through which these additional community facilities are provided. Under these agreements, Council enters into a legal contract with a developer to construct public facilities and infrastructure or provide public services as part of the conditions of development consent.

    Trunk infrastructure:  Priority Infrastructure Plan (PIP)

    Burdekin Shire Council has developed a PIP in accordance with the requirements of the Sustainable Planning Act, 2009.  The purpose of the PIP is to integrate and coordinate land use and infrastructure planning and to ensure that the provision of trunk infrastructure is performed in an efficient and orderly manner.

    Contributions may be payable for the following types of infrastructure.

    • Water Supply
    • Sewerage
    • Storm Water Management (including Stream Mitigation & Water Quality)
    • Traffic Management & Transport (for upgrading of network road)
    • Public Parks and Community Land

    Adopted Charges

    The Queensland Government established an Infrastructure Charges Taskforce in early 2010. The Taskforce was tasked with identifying opportunities to simplify, standardise and streamline the infrastructure funding arrangements across Queensland.

    The Taskforce released its recommendations in early 2011 with each being accepted by the State Government.  Amendments have recently been made to the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 providing legislative basis for establishing a regulated charging regime for Queensland.

    The Amendments to the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 allowed the establishment of a State Planning Regulatory Provision – Adopted Charges (SPRP). The SPRP details the maximum charges Councils can charge for various development types. It also allows Councils to decide whether to adopt the proposed maximum charges or a lower amount.

  • Development Application types

    Development Application types in accordance with the definition of assessable development under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.


    Material change of use of premises

    • The start of a new use of the premises
    • The re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned.
    • Increasing the scale and/or intensity of an existing use.

    Reconfiguration of a lot

    • Creating lots by subdividing another lot.
    • Amalgamating two or more lots.
    • Rearranging the boundaries of a lot.
    • Dividing land into parts by agreement (other than a lease for a term, including renewal options, not exceeding 10 years) rendering different parts of a lot immediately available for separate disposition or separate occupation.
    • Creating an easement giving access to a lot from a constructed road.

    Operational works

    • Filling or excavating.
    • Operational work for reconfiguring a lot.
    • Construction of a carpark.
    • Roadworks relocating Council infrastructure.
    • Stormwater drainage works.
    • Replacing an advertising device on premises.

    Please Note.  Development can be made assessable by the Sustainable Planning Act or a Planning Scheme. Levels of assessment for development are:

    • Exempt.
    • Self Assessable.
    • Code Assessable.
    • Impact Assessable.
    • Development requiring compliance assessment.


  • Development Applications

    Properly made developer applications need to contain the adopted fee, IDAS forms, site plan and planning report.


    Under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (SPA) it is mandatory that applicants provide certain information when lodging a development application.  The application forms must be current and properly completed in order to make the application. They contain mandatory (required by SPA) and supporting sections and provide Council with information necessary to undertake assessment of the application.  The forms are available from the State government website and are periodically updated. IDAS forms change from time to time, however SPA requires the “current form” to be submitted with all applications, otherwise the application is invalid.

    Requirements of a properly-made development application

    • All applications must contain the written consent of the land owner prior to the lodgement of the application.
    • A proposal report describing how the proposed development achieves the compliance with each of the Performance Criteria of each of the relevant Planning Scheme Codes triggered.
    • Supporting information and plans, including identifying what is existing development and what is proposed development.  Elements of good plans include:
      • a north point.
      • a scale (generally 1:100 or 1:200).
      • a title of the plan.
      • a date the plan was prepared.
      • the author of the plan.
      • all structures on the site, including buildings, water lines or bores, sewer lines or effluent trenches etc.

    What to include in the development application

    A development application must be made in the appropriate manner prescribed by the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (SPA).  Development applications must include:

    • One (1) copy of the relevant application IDAS forms from DSDIP
    • Two (2) copies of the plans and supporting information (eg. reports) and include at least one (1) A3 copy of the plans.
    • An unlocked CD containing all plans and supporting information as individual PDF documents.
    • The appropriate application fee.

    What does it Cost?

    Please refer to the Building Application Fees/Development Assessment Fees section in the fees and charges schedule.

  • Public Notification Signage

    Objections and Submissions

    Process for general public to submit objections and submissions to publicly notified Development Applications.


    How long do you have to make a submission?

    For Impact Assessable Developments the applicant must:

    • Publish a notice in a newspaper circulating in the locality of the proposed development.
    • Place a notice on the site of application.
    • Give notice to all the adjoining land owners

    All notices must be in the approved form. The public notification period for an application must be carried out for no less than 15 business days.

    How should a submission be made?

    Submissions must be in writing and should relate directly to the use proposed and its possible impact on surrounding property or the locality.  Council staff can assist you when viewing the application and can answer questions on specific technical issues. However staff are not in a position to comment on the merits of the proposal at notification stage nor is it appropriate that they assist you in formulating your objection or approval.

    A signed letter is acceptable. However, State legislation states that only a ‘properly made submission’ will have third party appeal rights.  A ‘properly made submission’ must:

    • Be in written form (dot point is acceptable).
    • State clearly your objections to, or support for the proposed development.
    • Be made to Burdekin Shire Council (the Assessment Manager).
    • Be received during the notification period.
    • State the name, address and be signed by each person who made the submission (Sustainable Planning Act 2009).


  • Town Planning Forms

    Forms related to Town Planning services, licenses and permits are available online and from the Council Chambers in Ayr.


    Forms related to Town Planning Services, licenses and permits are available from the Burdekin Shire Council Chambers at 145 Young Street in Ayr, or they can be downloaded and printed locally.  Once completed they should be returned to the Council (with any necessary fees) for processing.

    The following forms can be downloaded and printed.

Comments are closed.