Burdekin Shire Council has a Community Events Sign located in Plantation Park, Ayr on the Bruce Highway.
Its purpose is to assist in the promotion of Burdekin events to the community and tourists.
As part of the Burdekin Shire Council’s commitment to supporting a broad range of community events, the Community Event Sign can be utilised by community and not-for-profit groups conducting events in the Shire.
Please use the following Guidelines and Processes to arrange a community event sign for your organisation.
- Your organisation will need to complete a Community Event Sign Application Form. On the Application Form, some background information on the event, the organising body, the time period to display the message, and the wording is required.
- Applications for the use of display space on the Community Events Sign will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Display Board Responsibility
Applicant group is responsible for:
- Providing accurate and complete information on the Application Form;
- Ensuring application is lodged at least two months prior to the event date, including the display board design for approval by Burdekin Shire Council;
- Creation and production of signwriting for display board and all associated costs. (Screen-printing on a sign 2400mm x 1800mm is approximately $600);
- Costs for updating its display board with new dates each year.
Burdekin Shire Council is responsible for:
- Advising of the success of the application or otherwise;
- Supplying the applicant group with the specially manufactured blank display board at no cost;
- Installation and removal of the display board; and
- Storage of the display board.
When not on display, the board will be stored by Burdekin Shire Council for the Group’s use the following year, when the Group will only be required to complete a Community Event Sign Update Form and cover the costs of the dates on the display board to be changed by a local signwriter.
Display Board Specifications
- The board is made from AluGBond (supplied by Burdekin Shire Council);
- The size of the display board is 2400mm x 1800mm (made up of 2 (1200 x 1800mm) panels;
- The board will appear in a standardised way. (2400mm wide by 1800mm high)
- Your group will be required to produce the design to be printed/painted on the display board. It is a requirement that your group does this in conjunction with a local signwriter of your choice, who will also be required to print/paint the design on the display board.
- Burdekin Shire Council MUST approve all display board designs prior to them being printed/painted by a local signwriter.
- Your group will be required to cover the cost of the printing/painting by the local signwriter.
- Burdekin Shire Council will erect your display board, remove it after the event has occurred and will store it.
- For annual events, your group will be required to cover the costs of updating the dates of its event on your display board each year.
- The length of time that your group’s display board will be erected will depend on the number of applicants for that period, and will be at the discretion of the Burdekin Shire Council.
To be eligible to display your event message on the Community Event Sign, events must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed application form must be received at least two months prior to the chosen display date;
- The event organising body must be based in the Shire or provide services to people within the Shire;
- Events must be open to all residents of the Shire;
- Applicants must hold current Public Liability Insurance sufficient for the proposed event;
- All events promoted on the Community Event Sign must occur within Burdekin Shire.
In approving applications, Council will consider the following:
- Council-initiated events
- Council-supported events (supported through partnerships or direct funding)
- Community Events
They will be assessed using the following priority criteria:
- Have the potential to attract large crowds of participants;
- Involve a wide range of local community groups eg. local arts, cultural and ethnic groups;
- Have demonstrated the ability to host the event;
- Offer something significant or entirely new to Burdekin Shire Council residents; and
- Are accessible to all residents.
Terms and conditions
- Burdekin Shire Council will develop a system of space allocation, based on the priority groups, and take into account previous access to the Community Event Sign.
- The display board message, if accepted, may be complemented with a listing in the Community Calendar or the Burdekin Shire Council website.
- Burdekin Shire Council reserves the right not to accept or promote any events that could involve the Burdekin Shire Council in a controversial issue or expose Council to adverse criticism.
- Should the applicant or any of its sponsors be regarded as inappropriate under the following, then the application for promotion will not be accepted:
- An event that is at odds with local government policy directly or indirectly;
- An event that does not meet the community standards relating to “good taste”;
- Any products or services which are at odds with Burdekin Shire Council’s duty of care, aims or objectives.
- Burdekin Shire Council is responsible for your event sign while it is displayed in Plantation Park.
- In all instances, Burdekin Shire Council reserves the right not to accept an application for space on the Community Event Sign.
- Burdekin Shire Council will not be held responsible for the conduct of the event.
Who to Contact
For additional information about displaying your information on the Community Events Sign…
Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.
You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.
Customer Service Centre
|Location||145 Young Street,|
Ayr Qld 4807
|Postal Address||PO Box 974|
Ayr Qld 4807
|Opening hours||8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)|
|Phone||(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours|
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
|Fax||(07) 4783 9999|
|SMS||0437 886 008|
|Online||Use the Online Contact Form|
Building Certification and Plumbing Officers
|Early Opening||Please phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.|
|For all media enquiries please email|
Compliments and Complaints
|The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the|
> Complaints, compliments and suggestions page.
We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you consented to the disclosure
- you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.
Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.