About the Customer Service Centre
The Customer Service Centre offers a wide variety of services to the residents of the Burdekin Shire. From general enquiries, customer requests, building and plumbing applications, animal registrations, licence and permit applications to rates payments the Centre has friendly staff waiting to help.
From 1st July 2013 the Customer Service Centre will be open from 8:00am to 5:00pm (previously 7:00am to 5:00pm) Monday to Friday to help with all customer enquiries.
We are committed to providing the best possible service to our customers and to ensure all matters are dealt with in a professional manner by our friendly, informative and willing to help staff.
This is also the main contact number for all council departments; call centre operators will be able to assist you in reaching the correct department
After hours your call will be transferred to the After Hours Emergency Service Provider who will record your complaint or service request and refer it to the appropriate council officer.
If the matter is urgent and can not wait for normal business hours you will be put in touch with the on-duty council officer.
Payments can be made at the Burdekin Council Shire Chambers 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
There are many payment options available to customers – these options are outlined on the relevant notice.
We accept cash, cheques, Mastercard and Visa. Payment is also available online.
Key functions and activities
- Customer queries and requests
- Reception for whole of council
- Visitor’s passes
- Payment for all council operations – cash, cheque, Visa, Mastercard
- Plumbing applications
- Requests for service for all council departments
- Information on Council services
- Room bookings and key collection
- Theatre ticket sales
- Justice of the Peace available most times (please ring and make appointment)
- Order and pick up plans
- Book plumbing inspections
- Order and collect stand pipes
- Dog and Cat registration payments and information
- Customer Service Centre Survey (PDF 84 Kb)
- Customer Service Charter (PDF 85 Kb)
- Customer Service Contact Standards
Burdekin Shire Council Customer Service Charter
The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to providing the residents of the Burdekin Shire with a high standard of customer service at all times. As outlined in our “Mission” statement:
Customer Focus – “to recognise and value the importance of our customers and to deliver excellence in services provided to both our external and internal customers.”
Our Customer Service Charter is the commitment of the Burdekin Shire Council to always provide its customers with the highest standard of customer service.
Our customers are all people who reside, visit or have contact with the Burdekin Shire Council.
To be recognised as a high quality customer orientated service organisation that demonstrates leadership and commitment to the community. To serve the community through communication, consultation and quality service.
We will endeavour to provide the following:
- Prompt and efficient services
- Friendly, courteous and quality service
- Accurate and consistent information
- Identify ourselves by name in contact with all customers
- Have staff available during core business hours
- Provide “after hours” service for requests of an urgent nature
- Welcome you at our service desks within 5 minutes.
- Answer all telephone enquiries quickly and efficiently, within six rings.
- Answer all email correspondence quickly and efficiently, within two working days
- Answer all mail correspondence quickly and efficiently, within five working days
- Stick to agreed appointment times
- Maintain a standard of presentation and performance which at all times reflects the high quality of service expected by our customers
- Conduct our business in accordance with industry standards
- Inform you of the best ways to access services from your council
- Maintain the council’s facilities to ensure the safety and comfort of our customers
- Provide an opportunity for our customers to have their concerns addressed through our formal complaints process
Customer Feedback and suggestions
We encourage customers to contact us if they have any enquiries or suggestions.
We can be contacted (visit, mail, email or phone) during core business hours of 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Our details are:
145 Young Street, AYR QLD 4807
P O Box 974, AYR, QLD 4807
Ph: 07 4783 9800
Fax: 07 47 8347 9999
Customer Service Centre Contact Standards
Burdekin Shire Council is committed to providing our customers with a high level of Customer Service. We have implemented Service Standards which are in place to provide our customers with defined timelines to our levels of service.
If we are not meeting our defined service standards, or you believe that they can be Improved, please contact our Client Services Manager (on 07 4783 9800) who will be happy to discuss your concerns, feedback or compliments.
- Treating all people as individuals, endeavouring to identify them by name and being positive, friendly, supportive and helpful.
- Each and every customer should be treated courteously, regardless of how many others are waiting.
- Always treat customers with the same courtesy and respect, as you would like to experience yourself no matter how busy or pressured you feel.
- Keep customers waiting no longer than necessary.
- If they need to wait, apologise for the delay (offer a chair, glass of water or tea/coffee as appropriate).
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of services and amenities relevant to each particular department provided by the Council and familiarising themselves with the vision and goals of the Council’s plan.
- Listening to people’s views and opinions and making all attempts to resolve issues to the mutual satisfaction of the person and the Council.
- Personally referring any enquiry they cannot answer to an appropriate officer immediately and, if that officer is unavailable or unable to answer, ensuring the person is contacted within 24hours.
- Ensuring all enquiries where a commitment has been made are followed up and the person is advised of the outcome.
- Always looking for opportunities to provide better service to the community.
- Focussing on what we can do, not what we can’t do.
- Being driven by principals of quality improvement and by continuously improving and documenting our processes and procedures.
- Keeping you informed about the progress of your business within the Council.
- Writing our brochures, publications and correspondence in clear language.
- Responding to standard complaints within five (5) working days.
- Responding to complex complaints within ten (10) working days.
- Asking for clarification where necessary to ensure community needs are understood and can be met.
- Developing ways of determining community satisfaction, including surveys, focus groups and community liaison.
- Evaluating our performance regularly through a variety of mechanisms and making the information publicly available.
- Welcoming feedback and suggestions for improvement by having a Community Feedback Form at the Customer Service Centre.
- Ensuring people who have a disability are able to access our services.
- Providing access to the services of an interpreter if English is not your first language.
- Customer Service Officers will staff our counters during advertised business hours (8.00am to 5.00pm).
- Customer Service Officers will greet you in a friendly, courteous and timely manner.
- Customer Service Officers will attend to your query or request promptly and efficiently.
- Customer Services Officers will wear a name badge that clearly identifies the officer’s name and position.
- A Customer Service Officer will answer your phone call within six rings and with a happy and consistent greeting. This greeting will include their name and the Burdekin Shire Council.
- Should the demand for our services be high at the time of calling a Customer Services Officer will advise that you have been placed in a queue and you may experience a short wait. Your progress through the queue will be announced.
- A Customer Service Officer will clearly identify themselves with their name and how we can assist you.
- Each department will have an identified and accessible telephone answer point that will be staffed during normal business hours. (8.00am-5.00pm)
- If a Customer Services Officer is not available when you call, you will be asked to leave a message stating your details and we will return your call within 24hours.
- A Customer Services Officer will ask your permission to place your call on hold or to transfer your call.
- If we need to transfer your call we will pass on any details that you have already provided.
- The Customer Service Officer answering the call will provide the required information you are seeking, or if appropriate and reasonable, direct you to outside agencies.
- Customer Services Officers will leave their full names, departments, phone numbers and times available when leaving messages.
- We will acknowledge your email within two working days.
- If we cannot provide a response to your request within five working days, we will advise you of the expected time required to finalise your request.
- Emails we send will be scanned to remove known viruses.
- Outbound correspondence is formatted to Burdekin Shire Council standards and will be edited for accuracy.
- Our responses will be written in plain English and will provide a complete, accurate and precise response to your query.
- We will acknowledge or answer your correspondence within five working days.
- We will keep you up -to-date if there are delays with your request.
- A fax cover sheet will include name, telephone number, and department of the sender and the name and fax number of the receiver.
- Fax headers will be legible.