The vector control unit apply approved chemicals to breeding sites in the Burdekin Shire. Common breeding sites are located at Alva Beach, Plantation Creek and Council’s town drains. These sites are checked for breeding activity on a regualr basis throughout the year.
If you are aware of stagnant water lying on either Council land or privately owned land please contact Council so the vector control unit can inspect the site and treat the matter accordingly.
Mosquito fogging is no longer carried out. Council arranges with a private pest control contractor to apply a mosquito barrier treatment called Bistar to Council parks and facilities.
Information on Bistar
- is ideal for external barrier treatments and indoor residual surface treatments;
- has unique long lasting control for mosquitoes and flies;
- manages both disease and nuisance insects;
- is a water based formula so is safe to apply to ornamental plants, walls and under furniture;
- is odourless and does not stain surfaces;
- is very toxic to aquatic organisms so it is not advised to be used if you have a fish pond or tank.
For further information on mosquitoes please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on (07) 4783 9800