Customer Service Standards for Water and Waste Water

Burdekin Shire Council is committed to providing our customers with continuous, high quality water and wastewater (sewerage) services.

Burdekin Shire Council has developed customer service standards in the key performance areas of:

  • Continuity of supply
  • Quality of water
  • Adequacy of water supply
  • Effective transport of waste/effluent

We plan to assess compliance to these standards annually and produce a written report on our performance.

Shared Rights & Responsibilities

Burdekin Shire Council and its customers have rights and responsibilities associated with the provision and use of water and wastewater services. These include:

  • Council has the right to interrupt, postpone or limit the supply of services in situations when:
    • infrastructure is damaged or requires inspection, maintenance, repair or replacement;
    • in the event of drought or as part of demand management needs;
    • in the event of fire, flood, cyclone, power shortage or other emergencies.
  • Council has the authority to ask customers to correct faults in their plumbing, remove any structures, concrete, trees or vegetation that impede infrastructure or the accessibility of water meters.
  • Should the customer not rectify any faults or improper equipment connected to Council’s infrastructure or not remove any structure or vegetation as requested by Council within the specified time frame, Council has the authority under the Water Act 2000, to enter private property, carry out the required work and recover all costs from the owner.
  • Authorised Council employees or their representatives have the right to enter private property to read water meters, gain access to Council infrastructure, or in situations deemed to be emergencies.
  • Council employees and representatives are required to carry and show customers a current indentification tag. Access to residential properties can only occur between 7.30am and 6.00pm except in an emergency, or if a breach of legislation is suspected.
  • Council is responsible for maintaining water meters and pipes between the water main and the meter. Any plumbing on the property side of the meter is the Customers responsibility. Customers connection to a water meter must be by a licensed plumber and in copper or galvanised pipe. PVC or Poly pipe is not acceptable. Wastewater and trade waste customers are responsible for maintaining all plumbing and fixtures to the point where they connect with Council’s infrastructure.
  • Council has the right to recover all costs from the property owner for damage by the property owner or third party to any Council infrastructure such as water services and meters.

Responding to Water and Wastewater Service Requests

Council provides a Customer Service System that enables it to register water or wastewater system faults, and arrange to have these fixed.

System faults include damaged water and wastewater mains, blocked wastewater mains and faulty water meters including the isolating stopcock.

This service does not include faults associated with water and wastewater plumbing within your property.

The after hours service relies on phone calls initially being placed to (07) 4783 9800 which are then relayed to the after hours service provider by following the keypad instructions in the recorded message.


Comments are closed.