Under the Food Act 2006, high risk food businesses are required to have a Food Safety Program in place.
High risk food businesses include those that:
- undertake off site catering
- undertake on site catering (functions with more than 200 people 12 or more times per year)
- private hospitals
- aged care facilities, including those providing respite
- meals on wheels
- child care centres & kindergartens
The process can be broken down into the following steps:
1. Prepare your food safety program in accordance with the Food Safety Standards and ensure it covers your businesses processes. Templates are available on the Queensland Health website or consultants can be engaged, at a cost, to assist you.
2. The food safety program must be approved by a food safety auditor. (They will prepare a written document for submission to Council.)
3. The program must now be accredited by Council. Complete the Application for Accreditation of Food Safety Program form, submit it to Council with the fee, two copies of your food safety program as well as the ‘Written Advice’ from the food safety auditor that approved the program.
4. Council will issue a letter which will provide details on your responsibilities and the required frequency of audits.
5. You are required to ensure your Food Safety Program reflects the activities of your business. If you change processes or other information within the program you may need to have the changes/amended program approved and accredited again.
If you would like further information on food safety programs please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers via
Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.
You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.
|Customer Service Centre|
|Location||145 Young Street,
Ayr QLD 4807
|Postal Address||PO Box 974
Ayr QLD 4807
|Opening hours||8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)|
|Phone||07 4783 9800 – Business hours
07 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
|Fax||07 4783 9999|
|SMS||0437 886 008|
|Online||Use the Online Contact Form|
|Building Certification and Plumbing Officers|
|Early Opening||Please phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.|