Policies state Council’s intent, commitment or position on strategic issues and assist in informing the community and council officers on Council’s desired outcomes.
Policies are approved and adopted by the council.
Administrative directives describe what the Chief Executive Officer (acting under the Local Government Act) considers to be appropriate in relation to specific issues arising out of either legislation or Council decisions. They generally relate to the implementation of the day-to-day operations of the council.
If you cannot find what you need, please contact the Customer Service Centre by phoning 07 4783 9800.
Burdekin Shire Council has a number of local laws that relate to Burdekin residents and businesses as well as anyone visiting the area. A copy of Council’s current local laws can be obtained from the Council Chambers, 145 Young Street Ayr, or accessed electronically via the links provided.
The Local laws were approved and adopted by council on 26 June 2012.
The material presented on this site is provided by the Burdekin Shire Council for information purposes only. Users should note electronic versions of local laws and subordinate local laws on this site are not recognised as the official or authorised version of the local laws and cannot be relied on in legal proceedings. The electronic versions are made available on the basis users remain responsible for satisfying themselves as to their accuracy, completeness and currency.
Copies of the current Local Laws are available for inspection or purchase from the Burdekin Shire Council Chambers, Ayr, or can be viewed online or downloaded and printed.Preview...Hide...
Burdekin Shire Council has, by resolution dated 26 June 2012, made a suite of new local laws to assist in governing the Burdekin Shire.
Burdekin Shire Council’s local laws and all other local laws enacted by various councils across Queensland can also be viewed on the Department of Local Government website.
- 1 Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2012
- 1.01 Subordinate Local Law 1.1 (Alteration or Improvement to Local Government Controlled Areas and Roads) 2012
- 1.02 Subordinate Local Law No. 1.2 (Commercial Use of Local Government Controlled Areas and Roads) 2012
- 1.03 Subordinate Local Law 1.3 (Establishment or Occupation of a Temporary Home) 2012
- 1.04 Subordinate Local Law 1.4 (Installation of Advertising Devices) 2012
- 1.05 Subordinate Local Law 1.5 (Keeping of Animals) 2012
- 1.06 Subordinate Local Law 1.6 (Operation of Camping Grounds) 2012
- 1.07 Subordinate Local Law 1.7 (Operation of Cane Railways) 2012
- 1.08 Subordinate Local Law 1.8 (Operation of Caravan Parks) 2012
- 1.09 Subordinate Local Law 1.9 (Operation of Cemeteries) 2012
- 1.10 Subordinate Local Law 1.10 (Operation of Public Swimming Pools) 2012
- 1.11 Subordinate Local Law 1.11 (Operation of Rental Accommodation) 2012
- 1.12 Subordinate Local Law 1.12 (Operation of Temporary Entertainment Events) 2012
- 1.13 Subordinate Local Law 1.13 (Undertaking Regulated Activities regarding Human Remains) 2012
- 1.14 Subordinate Local Law 1.14 (Undertaking Regulated Activities on Local Government Controlled Areas and Roads) 2012
- 1.15 Subordinate Local Law 1.15 (Carrying out Works on a Road or Interfering with a Road or its Operation) 2012
- 1.16 Subordinate Local Law 1.16 (Gates and Grids) 2012
- 1.17 Subordinate Local Law 1.17 (Reservation of Bathing Reserve for Training, Competition etc) 2012
- 1.18 Subordinate Local Law 1.18 (Bringing or Driving a Motor Vehicle onto a Local Government Controlled Area) 2012
- 1.19 Subordinate Local Law 1.19 (Parking Contrary to an Indication on an Official Traffic Sign Regulating Parking by Time or Payment of a Fee) 2012
- 1.20 Subordinate Local Law No. 1.20 (Parking in a Loading Zone by Displaying a Commercial Vehicle Identification Label) 2012
- 2 Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2012
- 2 Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2012
- 3 Local Law No. 3 (Community and Environmental Management) 2012
- 3 Subordinate Local Law No. 3 (Community and Environmental Management) 2012
- 4 Local Law No. 4 (Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities and Roads) 2012
- 4 Subordinate Local Law No. 4 (Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities and Roads) 2012
- 5 Local Law No. 5 (Parking) 2012
- 5 Subordinate Local Law No. 5 (Parking) 2012
- 6 Local Law No. 6 (Bathing Reserves) 2012
- 6 Subordinate Local Law No. 6 (Bathing Reserves) 2012
- 7 Local Law No. 7 (Aerodromes) 2012
- Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities and Roads Amendment Sub Local Law No. 1 2012
- Local Law (Repealing) Local Law (No. 1) 2012 (PDF 87 KB)
Burdekin Shire Council has a number of policies that relate to Burdekin residents and businesses as well as anyone visiting the area.Preview...Hide...
Burdekin Shire Council has a number of policies that relate to Burdekin residents and businesses as well as anyone visiting the area. Copies of the policies are available for collection from the Burdekin Shire Council Chambers in Ayr. They can also be viewed online or downloaded and printed.
A major policy review is currently under way. As existing policies are updated or new policies are adopted, this Policy Register will change accordingly. Any questions regarding the policy register should be directed to the Executive Officer.
- Provision of Revenue Financial Assistance (Interest Free Loans) [A001]
- Use of Council Bus [A002]
- Purchase of Tickets to North Queensland Sport Star of the Year Awards [A004]
- Sporting and Cultural Grants [A012]
- Donations for Significant Events [A047]
- Donations made to non-profit organisations in the form of refunds for Building and Plumbing permit fees [A049]
- Sponsorship of Council Queen/Ambassador/Bachelor entrants for local festivals [A055]
- Donations to Burdekin Shire schools celebrating anniversaries [F005]
- Annual Sponsorship of Christmas Morning Melodies [F029]
- Grants to community organisations [F030]
- Environmental Levy Policy
Development and Building Controls
- Erection of Structures Over or Adjacent to Sewers or Water Mains
- Urban access provision [E010] – currently under review
- Discharge of rainwater from existing buildings in the CBD [B003] - currently under review
- Dealing with infrastructure access charges [TP004] - currently under review
- Revenue Policy
- Investment Policy
- Debt Policy
- Purchasing Policy [F019]
- Advertising Policy [A054]
- Entertainment and Hospitality Policy [A055]
- Refund of building application fees [F002]
- Refund of plumbing fees [F003]
- Business Management Compliance Policy and Manual [F021]
- Major Plant & Equipment Policy [F026]
- Community Engagement Policy
- Public Interest Disclosure Policy
- Asset Management Policy
- Event Attendance by councillors and officers [M004]
- Councillor Expenses Reimbursement Policy
Parks, Reserves, Sport and other Physical Recreation
Roads, Traffic, Transport and Drains
- Barricades and signage for community events [E003] – currently under review
- Road closure advertisements [E004] – currently under review
- Determining compensation for aquiring land for road purposes [F032]
- Provision of access to rural properties [RB001] – currently under review
- Advice to property owners prior to commencement of works [RB004]
- Line-marking adjacent to accesses [RB005]
- Temporary closure of roads associated with community events [RB013] – currently under review
- No requirement for drainage grates in car parks and driveways less than 500 sq metres [RB015] – currently under review
- Cane and crops growing on road reservations [RB020] – currently under review
- Guideline for planting of trees on rural road reserves [RB023]
- Landscaping standards for new roundabouts [RB025]
- Naming of roundabouts in Ayr [RB029]
- Future signage to comply with CBD revitalisation theme [RB031]
- Disposal of pool waste water from domestic dwellings through the sewerage system [S002]
- Discharge of effluent from septic tank installations to Ayr and Home Hill sewerage systems [S003]
- New connections for full pressure water supply or reticulated sewerage [W005]
The Arts and the Library
- Waste Management Policy
- Free disposal of pre-cyclone clean up waste during period of cyclone watch and warning [H011]
- Free use of waste disposal facilities between 8am and 12noon on Clean Up Australia Day [H047]
- Future restrictions on Giru rural water supply system [W001] – currently under review
- Giru water supply system [W002] – currently under review
- Replacement of existing private water extensions in rural areas [W003] – currently under review
- Dealing with infrastructure access charges [W007]
- Water charges for fire hose reels [W012]
- Multiple residential development [W017]
Workplace Health & Safety and Quality Assurance