Under the Food Act 2006, high risk food businesses are required to have a Food Safety Program in place.
High risk food businesses include those that:
– undertake off site catering
– undertake on site catering (functions with more than 200 people 12 or more times per year)
– private hospitals
– aged care facilities, including those providing respite
– meals on wheels
– child care centres & kindergartens
The process can be broken down into the following steps:
1. Prepare your food safety program in accordance with the Food Safety Standards and ensure it covers your businesses processes. Templates are available on the Queensland Health website or consultants can be engaged, at a cost, to assist you.
2. The food safety program must be approved by a food safety auditor. (They will prepare a written document for submission to Council.)
3. The program must now be accredited by Council. Complete the Application for Accreditation of Food Safety Program form, submit it to Council with the fee, two copies of your food safety program as well as the ‘Written Advice’ from the food safety auditor that approved the program.
4. Council will issue a letter which will provide details on your responsibilities and the required frequency of audits.
5. You are required to ensure your Food Safety Program reflects the activities of your business. If you change processes or other information within the program you may need to have the changes/amended program approved and accredited again.
If you would like further information on food safety programs please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers via
Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.
You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.
Customer Service Centre
|145 Young Street,|
Ayr Qld 4807
|Postal Address||PO Box 974|
Ayr Qld 4807
|Opening hours||8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)|
|(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours|
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
|Fax||(07) 4783 9999|
|SMS||0437 886 008|
|Online||Use the Online Contact Form|
Building Certification and Plumbing Officers
|Early Opening||Please phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need to access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.|
|For all media enquiries please email|
Compliments and Complaints
|The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the|
> Complaints, compliments and suggestions page.
We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you consented to the disclosure
- you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.
Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.