Getting Burdekin Businesses Busy Recycling was a project aimed at improving recycling practices of local businesses undertaken by Council in late 2014/early 2015.
Waste disposal can be a costly exercise for businesses. By reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfill, your business can potentially reduce these costs and at the same time helping to build a sustainable community. There are a number of actions that businesses can perform to minimise waste:
Excess packaging is a big issue. Can you find alternative products with less packaging? Can you buy in bulk?
Can you reuse containers or packaging material around your business? You can save on disposal costs as well as the costs of buying unnecessary items.
Recycling should be easy and is generally cheaper than disposing of waste in the general waste stream. In order to get the most out of recycling for your business you may want to consider the following:
- Are you and your staff aware or what can be recycled?
- Can you make it easier to recycle? We are all very busy and recycling should be a simple and quick process once it is set up to suit your business’ needs. Bin location and staff training can help in making recycling a simple part of your everyday tasks. Implementing waste separation bins means
Waste audits can assist your business assess current waste practices in your business and take around 30 minutes to an hour. A waste audit determines:
- The types of waste produced
- How this waste is being disposed of currently
- Identifies the barriers and constraints to current recycling practices.
- Identifies opportunities to reduce or reuse waste
- Identifies opportunities to recycle waste
Sometimes small changes in the workplace can make a big difference when it comes to reducing waste and costs.
Help is available to address waste disposal issues in your business. Contact Council now if you would like a waste audit of your business.
The final report of the Getting Burdekin Business Busy Recycling project can by found on the Australian Packaging Covenant Website.