Public Notice Issued at 0930 Hours – Thursday 22st March, 2012
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Townsville is closed at Sandy Corner. Structural engineers have identified a scour under the Haughton River Bridge and are conducting load tests. The highway will be open subject to satisfactory test results.
- For road closures within the Shire, visit Council’s website www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- The Burdekin River at the Inkerman Bridge is currently 10.86 metres and rising. The river is expected to reach a peak of approximately 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge at midday.
- With the Burdekin River at approximately 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge, the Bruce Highway may be impacted at the Plantation Creek crossing between Ayr and Rossiter’s Hill. The road is currently open to high clearance vehicles and trucks, single lane, under traffic control. Council will monitor the river levels and continue to provide advice on further possible closure of the Bruce Highway at this location.
- Home Hill township will not flood with a peak of the Burdekin River at 11 metres.
- Ambulance personnel are requesting people to be patient with non emergent cases due to lack of resources due to flooding.
- Kirknie Road Landfill is closed until 0830 hours Friday 23rd March 2012. Re-opening time will depend on rainfall and flood heights. Small ute loads of commercial waste can be taken to Council Transfers Stations. Large truck loads of commercial waste will have to be stored until the Landfill re-opens.
- Giru residents are requested to use water conservatively to ensure adequate water supplies for the town.
- Residents in the Burdekin should continue to monitor river levels and the potential for flooding.
Residents should continue to monitor the situation via:-
- Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au,
- Burdekin Shire Council’s website at www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- Burdekin Shire Council’s Facebook Page //www.facebook.com/BurdekinLDMG
- Listen to radio stations including Radio Sweet FM 97.1.
Request for assistance please phone SES on 13 25 00.
The next notice will be issued at 1700 hours on Thursday 22nd March, 2012.
Chairman – Local Disaster Management Group