Public Notice Issued at 1000 Hours – Wednesday 21st March, 2012
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Townsville is closed at the Haughton River and expected to remain closed until Thursday morning 22nd March, 2012.
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Brandon at Suicide Bend is expected to be open later today.
- For road closures within the Shire, visit Council’s website www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- The Haughton River is currently in major flood. The level at the rail bridge is 3 metres and steady. The river is expected to remain at this level until 1800 hours Wednesday 21st March, 2012. Clearing of debris and inspection of the Haughton River Bridge will commence once flood levels have receded and Council can access the site.
- The Burdekin River at the Inkerman Bridge is currently 9.3 metres and rising. The river is expected to reach a peak level of just under 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge late tonight or early Thursday morning. The Annabranch Bridge to Rita Island is closed, and water is over the esplanade at Groper Creek.
- With the Burdekin River at 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge, the Bruce Highway may be impacted at the Plantation Creek crossing between Ayr and Rossiter’s Hill. This is not expected to occur until late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Council will monitor the river levels and continue to provide advice on possible closure of the Bruce Highway at this location.
- Kirknie Road Landfill will be closed from 1100 hours on Wednesday 21st March 2012 until 0830 hours Friday 23rd March 2012. Re-opening and closing times are dependent on rainfall and flood heights. Small ute loads of commercial waste can be taken to Council Transfers Stations. Large truck loads of commercial waste will have to be stored until the Landfill re-opens.
- Giru residents are requested to use water conservatively to ensure adequate water supplies for the town.
- Residents in the Burdekin should continue to monitor river levels and the potential for flooding.
Residents should continue to monitor the situation via:-
- Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au,
- Burdekin Shire Council’s website at www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- Burdekin Shire Council’s Facebook Page //www.facebook.com/BurdekinLDMG
- Listen to radio stations including Radio Sweet FM 97.1.
Request for assistance please phone SES on 13 25 00.
The next notice will be issued at 1700 hours on Wednesday 21st March, 2012.
Chairman – Local Disaster Management Group