Public Notice Issued at 1700 Hours – Wednesday 21st March, 2012
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Townsville is closed at Sandy Corner due to flooding at the Haughton River Bridge and the Reed Beds and is expected to remain closed until Thursday morning 22nd March, 2012.
- For road closures within the Shire, visit Council’s website www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- The Haughton River is currently at 2.9 metres. Council is currently removing debris from the Haughton River Bridge, however, Main Roads Engineers are required to inspect the bridge prior to opening. Flood water is 600mm over the road at the Reed Beds and fast flowing. The road will remain closed until this water level significantly reduces.
- The Burdekin River at the Inkerman Bridge is currently 10.16 metres and rising. The river is expected to reach a peak of approximately 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge late tonight or early Thursday morning. The Annabranch Bridge to Rita Island is closed, and water is over the esplanade at Groper Creek.With the Burdekin River at 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge, the Bruce Highway may be impacted at the Plantation Creek crossing between Ayr and Rossiter’s Hill. This is not expected to occur until late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Council will monitor the river levels and continue to provide advice on possible closure of the Bruce Highway at this location.
- With the Burdekin River at approximately 11 metres at the Inkerman Bridge, the Bruce Highway may be impacted at the Plantation Creek crossing between Ayr and Rossiter’s Hill. This is not expected to occur until late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Council will monitor the river levels and continue to provide advice on possible closure of the Bruce Highway at this location.
- Kirknie Road Landfill is closed until 0830 hours Friday 23rd March 2012. Re-opening time will depend on rainfall and flood heights. Small ute loads of commercial waste can be taken to Council Transfers Stations. Large truck loads of commercial waste will have to be stored until the Landfill re-opens.
- Giru residents are requested to use water conservatively to ensure adequate water supplies for the town.
- Residents in the Burdekin should continue to monitor river levels and the potential for flooding.
Residents should continue to monitor the situation via:-
- Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au,
- Burdekin Shire Council’s website at www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- Burdekin Shire Council’s Facebook Page //www.facebook.com/BurdekinLDMG
- Listen to radio stations including Radio Sweet FM 97.1.
Request for assistance please phone SES on 13 25 00.
The next notice will be issued at 0900 hours on Thursday 22nd March, 2012.
Chairman – Local Disaster Management Group