Public Notice Issued at 1600 Hours – Thursday 22nd March, 2012
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Townsville is open.
- For road closures within the Shire, visit Council’s website www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- The Burdekin River at the Inkerman Bridge is currently 10.91 metres and steady.
- With the Burdekin River at 10.91 metres at the Inkerman Bridge, the Bruce Highway will continue to be impacted at the Plantation Creek crossing between Ayr and Rossiter’s Hill. The road is currently open to high clearance vehicles and trucks, single lane, under traffic control. Council will monitor the river levels and continue to provide advice on further possible closure and reopening of the Bruce Highway at this location.
- Home Hill township will not flood with a peak of the Burdekin River at 10.91 metres.
- Ambulance personnel are requesting people to be patient with non emergent cases due to lack of resources due to flooding.
- Kirknie Road Landfill is closed until 0830 hours Friday 23rd March 2012. Re-opening time will depend on rainfall and flood heights. Small ute loads of commercial waste can be taken to Council Transfers Stations. Large truck loads of commercial waste will have to be stored until the Landfill re-opens.
- Giru residents are requested to use water conservatively to prolong existing water supplies. This will allow the river to settle and prevent turbid water entering the water supply.
- Residents in the Burdekin should continue to monitor river levels and the potential for flooding.
Residents should continue to monitor the situation via:-
- Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au,
- Burdekin Shire Council’s website at www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- Burdekin Shire Council’s Facebook Page //www.facebook.com/BurdekinLDMG
- Listen to radio stations including Radio Sweet FM 97.1.
Request for assistance please phone SES on 13 25 00.
The next notice will be issued at 0900 hours on Friday 23rd March, 2012.
Chairman – Local Disaster Management Group