Public Notice Issued at 1630 Hours – Tuesday 20th March, 2012
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Townsville is closed at the Haughton River and expected to remain closed until mid-morning Wednesday, 21st March, 2012.The Bruce Highway Ayr to Brandon at Suicide Bend is closed.
- The Bruce Highway Ayr to Brandon at Suicide Bend is closed.
- For road closures within the Shire, visit Council’s website www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- The Haughton River is currently in major flood. The level at the rail bridge is 3.05m and steady. The river is expected to remain at this level until early Wednesday morning.
- The Burdekin River has risen during the day to a level of 7.5m at the Inkerman Bridge. The river is expected to reach a peak level of at least 9.1m at the Inkerman Bridge on early Thursday morning. At this level, the bridge to Rita Island is cut, and the water is over the esplanade at Groper Creek.
- Kirknie Road Landfill will be closed from 1100 hours on Wednesday 21st March 2012 until 0830 hours Friday 23rd March 2012. Re-opening and closing times are dependent on rainfall and flood heights. Small ute loads of commercial waste can be taken to Council Transfers Stations. Large truck loads of commercial waste will have to be stored until the Landfill re-opens.
- People in the usual flood prone areas of Giru, Rita Island and Groper Creek should prepare for possible flooding, including ensuring they have adequate food, water and prescription medical supplies.
Residents should continue to monitor the situation via:-
- Bureau of Meteorology website at www.bom.gov.au,
- Burdekin Shire Council’s website at www.burdekin.qld.gov.au
- Burdekin Shire Council’s Facebook Page //www.facebook.com/BurdekinLDMG
- Listen to radio stations including Radio Sweet FM 97.1.
Request for assistance please phone SES on 13 25 00.
The next notice will be issued at 0900 hours on Wednesday 21st March, 2012.
Chairman – Local Disaster Management Group