Burdekin Shire Council is seeking an experienced Media and Communications Officer to play a key role in maintaining and developing Council’s communication channels and social media assets.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the key responsibilities include:
- Implementation of the Social Media Strategy.
- Manage, monitor and drive growth on existing and new social media platforms and work closely with Council Executive to create and post engaging content on Social Media channels.
- Support the broader public relations and marketing goals of council by assisting to research and write feature articles, speeches, newsletters, briefings, reports, scripts, display materials and publications.
- Provide assistance to the Economic Development section to ensure development strategies and projects are promoted effectively throughout the media and the community by utilising Council talent and resources efficiently.
- Provide similar advice and assistance to all other sections of Council on promotional opportunities, media and marketing opportunities, and community engagement projects as they occur.
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes:
- A tertiary education or at least three years relevant experience in Communications or Journalism.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the role of communications and public relations in a corporate environment.
- Excellent writing skills, especially in the production of media releases, feature articles and promotional literature.
- Knowledge about the operations of media organisations, have a strong news sense and an understanding of media work processes and information needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Queensland Local Government Officers Award – State and Burdekin Shire Council’s Enterprise Bargaining Agreement. The applicable salary is to a ceiling of Level 5 ($74,839pa) with the commencing salary dependent upon skills and experience. A locality allowance is also payable.
The application package can be downloaded using the link below.
- Job Vacancy 14/15 - Media and Communications Officer - (pdf 522.38 kB)
Applications can be lodged electronically via the website and must include a cover letter, information addressing the selection criteria and a current resume. Written applications can also be forwarded to .
Applications close on Monday, 26 May 2014. Word or PDF format is preferable.
Further information can be obtained by contacting the Chief Executive Officer, Mr Matthew Magin on (07) 4783 9800.