The Burdekin Region offers an outstanding lifestyle that is both contemporary and relaxed. The major township of Ayr is less than an hour’s drive to the city of Townsville. The Burdekin has abundant water supplies, excellent health and educational facilities, and an excellent array of cultural, sporting, and recreational activities.
The Manager Economic Development, who reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer, will play an integral role in securing the future prosperity and expanded employment opportunities of the Shire’s residents through economic diversification and value adding to existing industries.
The key responsibilities include:-
- Encourage and facilitate the establishment of new enterprises to create job opportunities including importation of enterprises from outside the Burdekin Shire
- Create investment opportunities relevant to the strategic advantages of the Burdekin Shire
- Encourage the expansion of existing businesses to create additional jobs
- Develop and deliver projects that promote economic development, employment creation and skills enhancement within the Shire
- Devise and implement a framework of economic initiatives and projects that will enhance the Burdekin Shire and develop the economic strength of its outlying centres
- Network with relevant local organisations and industry groups
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes:
- A tertiary qualification in Business or Economic Development or extensive experience in a position undertaking similar duties
- A proven track record in attracting, encouraging and facilitating economic development in regional Australia
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary economic development practices and philosophy with the ability to critically assess and apply these concepts
- Understanding and appreciation of Ecologically Sustainable Development principles and their application
- Demonstrated high level of communication skills both written and oral with demonstrated ability to report clearly on complex matters and deliver presentations to varied audiences
A four year contract will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Applications can be lodged electronically via the website and must include a cover letter, statements addressing the selection criteria and a current resume. Written applications can also be forwarded to . Applications close on Friday, 1 August 2014.
Further information can be obtained by contacting the Chief Executive Officer, Mr Matthew Magin on (07) 4783 9800.
Download the application package using the link below.
- Job Vacancy 14/16 - Manager Economic Development - (pdf 741.71 kB)