The entire Burdekin community is being challenged to walk 10,000 steps a day for six weeks.
Burdekin Shire Council Economic and Community Development Manager Tony Vaccaro said the 6th annual Burdekin Be Active Committee’s 10,000 Steps Challenge was shaping up to the biggest and best yet with all of the Burdekin community invited to take part.
“The Challenge kicks off on Monday, July 21, and participants can sign up by themselves or get a team of up to 10 together,” he said.
“We have 100 pedometers here ready for use by participants and already have had two teams of 10 sign up.
“This is a free health, fitness and wellbeing challenge encouraging people to run, walk, jog 10,000 steps every day for six weeks or take part in another sporting activity or exercise for 30 minutes every day for six weeks with the aim of changing habits for a lifetime.
“The Challenge is open to all individuals looking to improve their general health, fitness and wellbeing.
“The 10,000 Step Challenge started with a vision to make exercise part of everyone’s daily life.
“Not everyone will run a marathon, however anyone can complete the 10,000 Steps Challenge and experience the physical benefits that come from taking part.”
You can nominate a team of up to 10 people; when you register each team member will receive the following:
- Free hire of a pedometer for the duration of the challenge
- 15 per cent discount card from Sportfirst Ayr for the duration of the challenge
- One FREE NRGIZE Fitness class pass
- The Australian Women’s Weekly Eat for Health recipe book
- Two pieces of fresh fruit
- Shape Up Australia tape measure that indicates whether your waistline puts you in the healthy, risk or high risk range
- Hardcopy step log
- 10,000 Steps website information including login details for online step log and access to additional resources
- Introductory informational brochure
- Local walking maps (Ayr, Clare, Giru and Home Hill)
- Promotional material from local health and fitness providers
- Weekly newsletter with hints and tips about health, fitness and nutrition as well as challenge updates.
At the conclusion of the six-week challenge the members of the team with the highest average number of steps will each receive a Sportfirst Gift Pack, one month’s free membership at Curves and a voucher for NQ Fit 4 Life total value $139.
The male and female individuals with the highest number of steps will be awarded a free NRGIZE Fitness Bootcamp membership, a voucher for NQ Fit 4 Life and $50 worth of Weight Watchers products – total value of $239.
Anyone from the Burdekin Community can take part in the 10,000 Steps Community Challenge.