Burdekin Shire Council is currently seeking applications for a Pest Management Officer to undertake activities required to minimise the impacts of pests and mosquitoes in accordance with legislation and through implementation of Council’s Pest Management Plan. This position also provides relief to the Compliance Officer on a rotational basis and requires flexible working hours.
The key responsibilities include:
- Undertake co-ordinated, programmed mosquito monitoring and control activities including inspections, pesticide applications, field survey, complaint investigation, contacting local customers and providing logistic support for the mosquito aerial program
- Conduct systematic inspections and undertake treatment of property to control declared plants in compliance with Council’s standards and operating procedures and in accordance with relevant legislation
- Provide advice and direction to customers on issues relating to mosquito, pest animals and declared plants including control measures to minimise adverse impacts caused by infestations
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes at a minimum:
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in mosquito management including breeding sites, control methods and regulatory requirements as it relates to North Queensland
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in pest animal and plant (including water weed) management including control methodologies
- Possession of sound computer skills with a proven ability to adapt to new computer technologies
- Demonstrated sound written and verbal communication and numeracy skills
- Possession of a current ‘C’ Class Drivers Licence for a manual car
The applicable salary is to a ceiling of Level 3 ($66,826pa) with the commencing salary dependent upon the skills and experience of the successful applicant.
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office on (07) 4783 9800 or you can download the application package using the following link.
- Job Vacancy 15/18 - Pest Management Officer - (pdf 804.2 kB)
Applications for 15/18 – Pest Management Officer should include:
- A cover letter
- A current resume
- Statements addressing the selection criteria (Please refer to the Position Description for the full list of selection criteria)
Applications can be submitted using one of the following methods:
- online using the Online Job Application Form
- by email to
- by mail to
Confidential Application No. 15/18
PO Box 974
AYR Qld 4807
Applications close on Friday, 31 July 2015. Word or PDF format is preferable.
For further information please contact Ms. Linda Govan, Co-ordinator Environment and Health on (07) 4783 9800.