Burdekin Shire Council is currently seeking applications for a Cadet Environmental Health Officer. The successful applicant will be required to undertake full time employment with Council and as part of the employment complete university studies to become an Environmental Health Officer.
The key responsibilities include:
- Undertake and/or assist with the assessment of premises regulated by Environmental Health in accordance with relevant State Government legislation or Council Local Laws. This includes inspection, enforcement, education, maintenance of registers and administrative activities
- Investigate and take further action as required to resolve environmental health complaints as delegated and contact any involved parties using correspondence, phone calls and interviews to ensure a suitable resolution within given timeframes while using appropriate levels of tact and discretion
- Assist in the investigation and monitoring of environmental health issues including undertaking noise assessments, and apply appropriate actions to address the issue
- Assist in the collection of water samples from external customers and council facilities
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes at a minimum:
- Ability to be accepted and then undertake studies to complete a Bachelor degree in Environmental Health in an Australian course accredited by Environmental Health Australia to become eligible for membership in to Environmental Health Australia
- Knowledge of the duties that an Environmental Health Officer working for Local Government performs
- Sound written and oral communication skills
- Sound level of interpersonal skills relating to negotiation, conflict resolution, decision making and problem solving
- Sound time management skills
- Ability to work independently and to contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite of Applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook
The commencing salary is dependent upon age and experience. The commencing salary for a school leaver is $28,987pa.
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office on (07) 4783 9800 or you can download the application package using the following link.
- Job Vacancy 15/36 - Cadet Environmental Health Officer - (pdf 626.57 kB)
Applications for 15/36 – Cadet Environmental Health Officer should include:
- A cover letter
- A current resume
- Statements addressing the selection criteria
Applications are to be submitted online using the Online Job Application Form.
Applications close on Friday, 27 November 2015. Word or PDF format is preferable.
For further information please contact Linda Govan – Coordinator Environment and Health on (07) 4783 9800.