Burdekin Shire Council is currently seeking applications for a Pest Management Officer to undertake activities associated with pest water weed removal using boat, weed harvester and spray unit in conjunction with Council’s Riparian Management Program, and activities required to minimise the impacts of pest animals, plants and mosquitoes. This position also provides relief to the Compliance Section on a rotational basis if required and requires flexible working hours.
The key responsibilities include:
- Undertake activities associated with pest water weed removal using weed harvester, boat and on ground spraying in conjunction with Council’s Riparian Management Programme.
- Undertake co-ordinated, programmed mosquito monitoring and control activities.
- Provide advice and direction to customers on issues relating to mosquito, pest animals and declared plants including control measures to minimise adverse impacts caused by infestations.
- Liaise with natural resource management groups such as Landcare, officers of State Government departments and other land management groups.
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes at a minimum:
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in pest animal and plant (including water weed) management including control methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge, in mosquito management including breeding sites, control methods and regulatory requirements as it relates to North Queensland.
- Possession of sound computer skills with a proven ability to adapt to new computer technologies.
- Demonstrated sound written and verbal communication and numeracy skills
- Possession of a current ‘C’ Class Drivers Licence for a manual car and a Recreational Marine Licence.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain: Pest Control Operator’s Licence and Poisons Licence – Monosodium Fluoro-acetate (1080).
Applicants should familiarise themselves with the entire position description.
The applicable salary is to a ceiling of Level 3 ($67,828pa) with the commencing salary dependent upon the skills and experience of the successful applicant.
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office on (07) 4783 9800 or you can download the application package using the following link.
- Job Vacancy 18/15 - Pest Management Officer - (pdf 289.16 kB)
Applications for 18/15 – Pest Management Officer should include:
- A cover letter
- A current resume
- Statements addressing the selection criteria found in the Position Description
Applications can be submitted using one of the following methods:
Applications close on Tuesday, 3 April 2018 at 5.00pm. Word or PDF format is preferable.
For further information please contact Preeti Prayaga – Senior Environmental Health Officer on (07) 4783 9800.