Are you ready?
Your emergency kit contains a collection of essential items that will equip your household in the event of emergencies like cyclones, floods, bushfires and storms. Your kit should be kept in a sturdy, easy to carry bag or waterproof storage box and stored in a safe place that is easy to access.
Include items you’d need for several days in case of disruption to essential services (i.e.power and water supplies). Also, include the equipment you’ll need to prepare meals with no power. Keep your kit in a waterproof storage container and store in an easy to accesslocation. Check your kit every season to stock up and rotate supplies to ensure provisions are fresh and safe to use.
Other items include:
- Food and water for at least three days:
- 10 litres of water per person as 3 days supply
- Non-perishable food
- Can opener, cutlery and cooking equipment
- Medical and sanitation supplies:
- First Aid Kit and manual
- Essential medications, prescriptions anddosage
- Toilet paper and personal hygiene items
- Toiletries – toothbrush, toothpaste, soap,shampoo etc.
- Battery or wind-up torch/lantern (extrabatteries)
- Battery powered or wind-up radio(extra batteries)
- Fully charged mobile phone and charger
- Prepaid phone cards and coins for phonebooth calls
- Clothing and footwear:
- Change of warm protective clothes andshoes for everyone
- Important documents:
- Keep original or certified copies
- Scan copies to USB or online storage