Burdekin Shire Council is committed to providing our customers with a high level of Customer Service. We have implemented Service Standards which are in place to provide our customers with defined timelines to our levels of service.
If we are not meeting our defined service standards, or you believe that they can be Improved, please contact our Client Services Manager (on 07 4783 9800) who will be happy to discuss your concerns, feedback or compliments.
- Treating all people as individuals, endeavouring to identify them by name and being positive, friendly, supportive and helpful.
- Each and every customer should be treated courteously, regardless of how many others are waiting.
- Always treat customers with the same courtesy and respect, as you would like to experience yourself no matter how busy or pressured you feel.
- Keep customers waiting no longer than necessary.
- If they need to wait, apologise for the delay (offer a chair, glass of water or tea/coffee as appropriate).
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of services and amenities relevant to each particular department provided by the Council and familiarising themselves with the vision and goals of the Council’s plan.
- Listening to people’s views and opinions and making all attempts to resolve issues to the mutual satisfaction of the person and the Council.
- Personally referring any enquiry they cannot answer to an appropriate officer immediately and, if that officer is unavailable or unable to answer, ensuring the person is contacted within 24hours.
- Ensuring all enquiries where a commitment has been made are followed up and the person is advised of the outcome.
- Always looking for opportunities to provide better service to the community.
- Focussing on what we can do, not what we can’t do.
- Being driven by principals of quality improvement and by continuously improving and documenting our processes and procedures.
- Keeping you informed about the progress of your business within the Council.
- Writing our brochures, publications and correspondence in clear language.
- Responding to standard complaints within five (5) working days.
- Responding to complex complaints within ten (10) working days.
- Asking for clarification where necessary to ensure community needs are understood and can be met.
- Developing ways of determining community satisfaction, including surveys, focus groups and community liaison.
- Evaluating our performance regularly through a variety of mechanisms and making the information publicly available.
- Welcoming feedback and suggestions for improvement by having a Community Feedback Form at the Customer Service Centre.
- Ensuring people who have a disability are able to access our services.
- Providing access to the services of an interpreter if English is not your first language.
- Customer Service Officers will staff our counters during advertised business hours (8.00am to 5.00pm).
- Customer Service Officers will greet you in a friendly, courteous and timely manner.
- Customer Service Officers will attend to your query or request promptly and efficiently.
- Customer Services Officers will wear a name badge that clearly identifies the officer’s name and position.
- A Customer Service Officer will answer your phone call within six rings and with a happy and consistent greeting. This greeting will include their name and the Burdekin Shire Council.
- Should the demand for our services be high at the time of calling a Customer Services Officer will advise that you have been placed in a queue and you may experience a short wait. Your progress through the queue will be announced.
- A Customer Service Officer will clearly identify themselves with their name and how we can assist you.
- Each department will have an identified and accessible telephone answer point that will be staffed during normal business hours. (8.00am-5.00pm)
- If a Customer Services Officer is not available when you call, you will be asked to leave a message stating your details and we will return your call within 24hours.
- A Customer Services Officer will ask your permission to place your call on hold or to transfer your call.
- If we need to transfer your call we will pass on any details that you have already provided.
- The Customer Service Officer answering the call will provide the required information you are seeking, or if appropriate and reasonable, direct you to outside agencies.
- Customer Services Officers will leave their full names, departments, phone numbers and times available when leaving messages.
- We will acknowledge your email within two working days.
- If we cannot provide a response to your request within five working days, we will advise you of the expected time required to finalise your request.
- Emails we send will be scanned to remove known viruses.
- Outbound correspondence is formatted to Burdekin Shire Council standards and will be edited for accuracy.
- Our responses will be written in plain English and will provide a complete, accurate and precise response to your query.
- We will acknowledge or answer your correspondence within five working days.
- We will keep you up -to-date if there are delays with your request.
- A fax cover sheet will include name, telephone number, and department of the sender and the name and fax number of the receiver.
- Fax headers will be legible.