Whenever and wherever it suits you, you can text the Council on 0437 886 008.
What is Text the Council?
Burdekin Shire Council is amongst the first local governments in Australia to introduce a SMS text service, allowing residents to contact the council via text message.
The service has been introduced in response to the changing needs of the community.
Residents can now send a text message to the council at any time of the day or night from any location, providing they have mobile phone coverage.
What can I Text the Council about?
Text the Council can be used to report a problem such as a pothole, request information or just to give the council feedback.
What will happen with my text?
- If you are providing constructive feedback to council, you will receive a response text recognising your comments.
- If you are reporting a problem such as a pothole or water leak, you will receive a response text with a Service Request Number, which you can quote if you have any further enquiries about the matter you’ve reported.
- If you are reporting a compliance matter such as a roaming dog or enquiring about a confidential matter such as rates information, you will receive a response text asking you to call our Customer Service Centre on 07 4783 9800. Certain matters such as these require our Customer Service Representatives to speak with you directly.
- If you are requesting information such as library opening times, a response text will be sent to you with the details you’ve requested. If it isn’t a question we can respond to via text, we’ll ask you to call our Customer Service Centre on 07 4783 9800.
- If your text is of an abusive nature, you will not receive a response.
How much will Texting the Council cost me?
Text messages will incur your normal text message charge as set by your mobile service provider.
How can I be assured my personal details will be kept private?
Mobile contact details will only be accessed by the council for the purpose of contacting you for more information or providing you with the information you requested. Your details will not be shared with any other party.
Is there a potential for messages to be delayed?
The Text the Council system is reliant upon telecommunication providers to maintain their systems. Delays in the delivery of text messages may occur but this is beyond the control of the council. If your issue is urgent, you should ring the relevant emergency service provider or phone council’s Customer Service Centre on 07 4783 9800.
What about emergency/disaster situations?
Emergency situations such as during a cyclone can result in power failure, loss of cell tower coverage and even loss of landline. The Text the Council Service is not intended for use in the event of an emergency.
If your situation requires immediate attention, contact the relevant emergency service provider. Please refer to the list of emergency contact details on our web site.
During an emergency you can also refer to the
Burdekin Shire Council Disaster Coordination Centre Facebook page.
How else can I contact the council?
Phone enquiries can only be made by calling council’s Customer Service Centre on 07 4783 9800.
The Text the Council number is only intended for SMS text messages and will not connect if dialed.