Review the jobs that are currently available at the Burdekin Shire Council.
To apply for a job, download the Job Application Package.
Once you have prepared your job application, you can either
- email it to email@example.com or
- post it to Confidential Job Application, PO Box 974, Ayr, QLD, 4807.
Job Vacancy 18/61 – Leading Hand – Form Setter/Concreter – Works
Burdekin Shire Council is currently seeking applications for a Leading Hand – Form Setter/Concreter to assist with the construction and maintenance of civil infrastructure in connection with roads, footpaths, kerbing and channelling, stormwater drainage, boat ramps and other functions of Council.
The key responsibilities include:
- Undertake all work as specified in the relevant quality and safety plans ensuring compliance with all Acts, Regulations, quality standards and Codes of Practice.
- Maintain site records of daily activities as required to ensure safety and quality compliance.
- Under the general direction and in the absence of the Supervisor, assume control and be responsible for all activities on the job site.
- Liaise with and coordinate contractors and other Council employees on the job site.
- Guide and assist gang members in construction and maintenance activities including quality control.
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes at a minimum:
- Demonstrated experience in concrete construction, concrete finishing, form setting and Council maintenance operations.
- Demonstrated ability to read and comprehend job plans, specifications and reinforcing schedules.
- Sound written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work under minimum supervision in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, set priorities and plan works.
- Current Class “MR” (Medium Rigid) driver’s licence.
Applicants should familiarise themselves with the entire position description.
The gross fortnightly wage for this position ranges from $2,278.93 to $2,432.57 with the commencing wage dependent upon the skills and experience of the successful applicant.
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office on (07) 4783 9800 or you can download the application package using the following link;
- Job Vacancy 18/61 - Leading Hand - Form Setter/Concreter - Works - (pdf 147.25 kB)
Applications for 18/61 – Leading Hand – Form Setter/Concreter – Works should include:
- A cover letter
- A current resume
- Statements addressing the selection criteria found in the Position Description
Applications can be submitted using one of the following methods:
Applications close on Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 5.00pm. Word or PDF format is preferable.
For further information please contact Robert Potter, Works Overseer on (07) 4783 9800.
Applying for a Council Job
Applications for employment with Burdekin Shire Council should be lodged by email toor by mail to Confidential Application, PO Box 974, Ayr, Qld, 4807.
You will need to submit a separate application for each position you are interested in.
Some positions require specific qualifications or experience, and these are identified in the position description. Please consider your qualifications and/or experience carefully as your application may not be considered if you are unable to meet these requirements.
Burdekin Shire Council is committed to recruiting the best possible candidates. Accordingly, the selection process is based on merit principles and equal employment opportunity. Your application will be assessed against the requirements of the position, based on your qualifications and your relevant experience.
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by return email or mail, and if you are selected for interview, the council will contact you with details of where and when the interview will take place. In most cases the council will provide at least 3 working days notice.
The selection process may also include:
- A medical assessment at the council’s expense.
- A Working with Children Check.
- A background check.
Migration and VISA requirements for permanent and temporary positions with council
If you are not a citizen or a permanent resident, please ensure that your residency status/work entitlements are detailed on your application. Please only apply for those positions for which you are eligible based on your current residency. The table below is a quick guide for you.
|Residency Status||Permanent Positions||Temporary Positions||Information for Applicant|
|Australian Residents||Yes||Yes||Application to include evidence of permanent residency (VISA etc)|
|NZ Citizens with Unrestricted work rights (for example, Special Category VISA (SCV))||Yes||Yes||Application to include evidence of residency status and work entitlements (VISA etc)|
|Temporary Residents with a valid Working Visa||No||Yes||Application to include evidence of residency status and work entitlements (VISA etc)|
|Temporary Residents without a valid Working Visa||No||No||Unable to apply for positions with council|
What you should include in your application
To assist in your claim for a position, Job Applications should be clear and concise, relate to the position applied for and include:
- your responses to the selection criteria (which is found on the last page of the position description)
- a short resume including the name and telephone number of two work referees (people who have directly supervised you or who have knowledge of your capacity to perform the duties of the advertised position)
- a covering letter detailing your knowledge, skills, experience and ability to meet the specified requirements as outlined in the job description.
How to apply
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office at the Shire Chambers, 145 Young St, Ayr, Qld, 4807, telephone 07 4783 9800 or this website, click on Current Vacancies, find the position that interests you and download the application package.
Simply click on Current Vacancies, find the position that interests you and download the application package.
Enquiries regarding the application process can be directed to Human Resources on 07 4783 9800 or by email to.
All applications should be submitted by 5pm on the advertised closing date.
Application packages are available from the Human Resources Office at the Shire Chambers, 145 Young St, Ayr, Qld, 4807.
You can return your completed application to the Human Resources Office at the Shire Chambers, 145 Young St, Ayr, Qld, 4807.
Call Human Resources on 07 4783 9800 and ask them to send you an application package.
You can return your completed application by mail to Confidential Application, PO Box 974, Ayr, Qld, 4807.
When you can expect to hear from us
Once your application is received an acknowledgement will be send out by email or mail confirming that we have received your application. Successful applicants will generally be notified within two weeks of the interview, and unsuccessful applicants will be notified once the recruitment process has been finalised.
Why work for Burdekin Shire Council?
A career with Burdekin Shire Council is rewarding and enjoyable. The opportunity to be part of a large and diverse organisation with a strong community connection is unique in itself – combine this with the incomparable North Queensland lifestyle, and it’s hard to imagine a more appealing choice.
You might be surprised at the range of services the council provides and supports – explore our current vacancies to find out more about the satisfying and challenging careers available, and take a step towards your new life!
Check the Current Job Vacancies to see if there is a position available for you in the council.
Health and Safety – our commitment to you
Burdekin Shire Council is committed to providing workplaces which are safe for council workers and all other people as well. This commitment is reflected in the extensive Workplace Health and Safety induction provided to all of our employees, and in the comprehensive safety management systems employed throughout the organisation.
We will ensure that our people are provided with suitable direction and training, adequate resources, competent supervision, safe systems of work and appropriate instruction in the use of all equipment including PPE.
- Service – we commit to excellence
- People – we value each other
- Integrity – we do the right thing
- Respect – we learn through listening
- Enjoyment – we create a fun workplace
Diversity and Equality Opportunities
Burdekin Shire Council provides a positive and supportive working environment to employees. It is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its people such as cultural and physical diversity (people with disabilities).
Council encourages employees to manage a healthy family/work life balance by providing:
- Generous leave
- Up to 17.5% leave loading
- Up to 5 weeks annual leave
- Long Service Leave which may in some circumstances may be available pro rata after seven years of service
- Parental Leave
- Personal Leave (Sick/Carers)
- Study and assistance programs for career development
- Learning and Development opportunities
- Reimbursement of some professional registration fees
- Employee Assistance Scheme
- Active Social Club
- Flexible working schedules (determined by operational requirements)
Find out more
For more information on opportunities to work with council, please contact our Human Resources department on 07 4783 9800.