Can I get a copy of my Rates notice?

Yes. A copy can be obtained from Council’s Customer Service Centre by phone, email or over the counter.

How do I change my name so that it shows correctly on my Rates notice? (e.g. maiden name to married name)

Council cannot change a name record as our records need to reflect what is recorded at the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.

It is suggested you see a Solicitor, or obtain the appropriate forms from the Magistrates Court if you wish to carry out your own conveyancing. Council will be notified by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy and will update its records accordingly.

Why do you have to pay rates?

Local governments provide essential services to their community such as water and waste infrastructure, waste disposal, roads, parks and gardens.

They also administer various laws and regulations to help maintain and improve services and facilities for the community.

These services include community, sporting, recreation, environmental planning, public health, environmental protection, waste collection and treatment and disposal of waste water. The rates you pay allow council to fund these services.

How often are properties in the Burdekin Shire rated?

Properties in the Burdekin are rated annually and are based on land value, land use and the services provided, i.e. garbage, sewerage, water access etc. The rating year is calculated from July 1 to June 30 the following year.  Water consumption is issued half-yearly.

What month are rates notices sent out?

Council usually adopts its rates and charges by June 30 at the Annual Budget Meeting. Once adopted, rate notices will follow soon afterwards with the due date for payment being 31 days after issue.

Is there any way of knowing what your rates and charges will be before receiving your rate notice?

Once Council adopts its yearly Budget, details of rates and charges are made available on Council’s website for the public to view.

How does Council decide how much you have to pay in rates and charges?

Council is required to determine the combination of rates and charges needed to fund the services Council provide to the community. The Revenue Statement determines which rates and charges you will pay and how they are calculated.  A copy of this document can be found on Council’s website.

How does Council decide which category your property is in?

Council supports sixteen (16) differential general rate categories and has identified the category in which each parcel of rateable land in the area is included based on its land use code as provided by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.  These categories are explained in Council’s Rates at a Glance.

What can you do if you don’t agree with the categorisation of your property?

Ratepayers may object to the rating category stated on their rate notice if the owner considers the land should belong to a different rating category.

Owners may object by submitting an Objection Notice within 30 days of the date of issue of the rate notice, stating the rating category the owner claims the land should belong to and also the facts and circumstances on which the owners make that claim. Objection Notice forms are available by contacting Council’s Rates Section (07) 4783 9800. Council’s CEO will consider the objection and provide the owner with the decision and reasons for the decision within 60 days.

If the objection is allowed, rates will be adjusted from the start of the period of the rate notice. If the objection is not allowed owners may appeal the decision in the Land Court. The making of an objection, or the starting of an appeal, does not stop the levying and recovery of rates.

What if you don’t agree with the land valuation of your property?

If you don’t agree with your land valuation, and can provide information to demonstrate that it is incorrect, you may lodge an objection.

An objection must be lodged within 60 days of the date of issue of the valuation notice issued by Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy. For more information on the objection process visit

Who determines land valuations for rating purposes?

The Valuer-General Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy provides Statutory land valuations for all rateable   properties in Queensland in accordance with the Land Valuation Act 2010.

Valuations are issued annually across the state, except in unusual circumstances or where the Valuer-General, after consultation with local government and industry groups, determines there has been insufficient market movement in a local government area to warrant an annual valuation.

Annual land values are assessed as at October 1, with notices issued before March 31 of the following year. The new valuations take effect for local government rating or state land tax purposes (where applicable) on June 30 in the year the notice is issued.

For more information on Statutory land valuations issued by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy go to

Comments are closed.