If you experience a significant increase in water consumption and a higher than normal water bill, you may have an undetected water leak somewhere on your property.
To determine if you have an undetected water leak there are a number of checks you can perform:
- turn off all water appliances (for example showers, sprinklers, taps, washing machines etc.) on your property and monitor your water meter. If the meter continues to turn over you may have a significant leak somewhere on your property.
- inspect your property to see if there are any puddles or wet patches that are not drying up. This may be an indication that there is a leak within the area.
If you discover you have an undetected water leak that requires repairing, you may be eligible for a rebate from Council for part of the water consumption charge. For a rebate to be considered, you must first have the leak repaired by a licensed plumber and submit the following paperwork to Council:
- a report from your plumber detailing the undetected water leak
- a copy of the plumber’s tax invoice for repairing of the water leak
- a completed Burdekin Shire Council ‘Undetected Water Leak Rebate Application’ form
In the case where the Chief Executive Officer is satisfied (on reasonable grounds) that there was a previously undetected water leak within the property boundaries, the Chief Executive Officer in accordance with delegated powers from the Council, will determine the basis for charging water consumption charges.
His determination (entirely in his discretion) shall be made upon the basis of either of the following:
- annual water consumption over the previous three (3) year period, or
- where there is not a history of water consumption charges prior to the detection of the water leak and where the Chief Executive Officer is satisfied as to the bona fides of the claim,
the Chief Executive Officer shall reduce the water consumption charges up to an amount of 50% of the amount otherwise payable. Please note that only one (1) rebate is available every three (3) years per property, unless a property transfer has occurred.
For more information on undetected water leaks or the required rebate application form, please refer to the following:
- Undetected Water Leaks - (pdf 322.04 kB)
- Undetected Water Leak Rebate Application - (pdf 136.24 kB)
- Revenue Statement 2017-2018 - (pdf 469.03 kB)
Who to Contact
Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.
You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.
Customer Service Centre
|145 Young Street,|
Ayr Qld 4807
|Postal Address||PO Box 974|
Ayr Qld 4807
|Opening hours||8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)|
|(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours|
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
|Fax||(07) 4783 9999|
|Online||Use the Online Contact Form|
Building Certification and Plumbing Officers
|Early Opening||Please phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need to access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.|
|For all media enquiries please email|
Compliments and Complaints
|The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the|
> Complaints, compliments and suggestions page.
We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you consented to the disclosure
- you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.
Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.