Domestic households appliances can be disposed of at any of Council's waste facilities free of charge if sorted.
Fees apply to commercial waste.
Household appliances made of metal such as ovens, microwaves etc can de disposed of in the scrap metal recycling bin free of charge.
You should not put household appliances in any of your wheelie bins.
People who use needles/syringes such as diabetics should place the sharp in a ridged walled, puncture resistant container (e.g. approved sharps container) before securely closing or sealing the container.
The container can then be disposed of at the following local pharmacies who participate in the Queensland needle and syringe program.
- Ayr Amcal Chemist - 82 Queen Street, Ayr
- Burdekin Plaza Pharmacy - Shops 7 & 8. 118-120 Edwards Street, Ayr
- Julie's Pharmacy - 144 Edwards Street, Ayr
- TerryWhite Chemmart Ayr - 109 Queen Street, Ayr
- Complete Health Pharmacy - Shop D, 129-141 Eighth Avenue. Home Hill
- Guardian Pharmacy Home Hill - 101 Eighth Avenue, Home Hill
The Environmental Protection (Waste Management) Regulations 2000 have specific requirements regarding the correct disposal of needles or other sharps. Penalties exist for people who do not dispose of sharps correctly. Under no circumstance can sharps be placed in your recycle bin.
Burdekin Shire Council also provides sharps containers in the majority of the Shire's public toilets.