Council requires an approval to be issued for keeping certain animals and the number of certain animals.

The aim of the approval is:

a)  to prevent or minimise complaints that can occur when some animals are kept in urban areas; and
b)  to establish guidelines to ensure proper care for the animal.

If you live on a house block (up to 4000 square metres in area) you can have 2 cats and 2 dogs without any additional approvals.  If however you would like to have more than 2 cats or dogs, would like certain other animals, or live in a flat or unit then before obtaining the animal/s you need to obtain an approval from Council.

Note: Council rarely issues approvals for additional dogs.  Approvals may only be issued for an additional dog if extraordinary circumstances are deemed to apply.

To determine whether you can have certain animals such as roosters, horses, or sheep the most important information you need is the size of the allotment where the animal is to be kept.  The size of the allotment will determine if you can have certain animals and if you need an approval.

The full details are available in Schedule 1 and 2 of Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2012.  To assist you, separate pages have been provided with details based on different types of animals.

Application Process

The Application for Approval to Keep Animals form is to be completed and returned with the non-refundable fee.  Full details on information required and the types of conditions that may be imposed on an approval is found in Subordinate Local Law 1.5 (Keeping of Animals) 2012.

The application asks for details on the type of animal you are seeking approval for and includes a range of questions on the premises where the animal is to be kept and in relation to its care.  You are also asked to provide a site plan of the property and enclosure and any shelter that will be provided for the animal.  Certain animals may require more specific information such as distances from boundaries and distances from neighbouring residences.

If you are not the owner of the property you will also require written approval from the landowner as part of this application.

The current fees can be found in the fees and charges for Council services, please use this link.

All approvals expire on 31 July each year.  Council will send out a renewal notice prior to the expiry date.

It is important to realise that, should an approval be given, it is only for those animals specified in the approval, any changes in animals or additional animals will require a new approval.  

Conditions for keeping animals

Everybody that keeps an animal as a pet is required to meet certain minimum standards.  Some animals have additional, more specific requirements that are to be met.  For example the requirements for keeping birds will be quite different to that of cats or horses.

Animals – just like humans – need food, shelter and water.  However there are additional requirements to minimise the impact on your neighbours including limiting nuisances, particularly noise, animal specific requirements on enclosures and some shelters may need to be a certain distance from boundaries or neighbouring dwellings.

Requirement for keeping animals

You are required to comply with the general minimum standards and any additional animal specific standards as detailed in Schedule 4 and 5 of Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2012 .

The requirements for an enclosure have also been detailed in Schedule 8 of Subordiante Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2012.

Further information

Should you require further information in relation to approvals for animals…

Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.

You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.

Customer Service Centre

Google Map
145 Young Street,
Ayr Qld 4807
Postal AddressPO Box 974
Ayr Qld 4807
Opening hours8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)
(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
Fax(07) 4783 9999
OnlineUse the Online Contact Form

Building Certification and Plumbing Officers

Early OpeningPlease phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need to access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.

Media Enquiries

For all media enquiries please email

Compliments and Complaints

The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the
> Complaints, compliments and suggestions page.

Privacy Notice

We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:

  • you consented to the disclosure
  • you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
  • it is required or authorised by law
  • it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
  • the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.

Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.

Comments are closed.