Under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 all cats are required to be registered with Council, once the cat is over 3 months of age. Cats must also be registered within 14 days of obtaining your cat or within 14 days of moving into the Burdekin Shire.

All cats born on or after 1 July 2010 must also be micro-chipped.

An approval is required if more than 2 cats over 3 months of age are to be kept on the one property.  The approval is to be received prior to receiving the additional cat/s.

Why should you register your cat?

  1. When registered an identification tag is provided.  By wearing this tag lost cats can be reunited with their owners.
  2. Cat identification will be vital in the event of a disease outbreak.
  3. Information on registration provides statistics to help Councils provide appropriate management strategies and facilities.

What is the Registration Period and Fees?

  • The period of registration for dogs is for twelve (12) months from 1st August to the 31st July the following year.
  • An Early Bird discounted registration fee is available for all new registrations and renewals if paid within the period of 1st July to 31st July.
  • Discounted registration fees are available for cats that have been desexed and micro-chipped.
  • Council actively encourages residents to voluntarily have their cats desexed, and to identify them by a collar and tag distributed by Council after registration, and a microchip. It is necessary to ensure your cat is controlled to prevent nuisance wandering and to protect wildlife in our shire.

Can I receive a refund on my cat registration?

Council has a Policy to allow certain pro-rata refunds for cat registrations during the registration period.

Cat owners are able to make application to Council if their cat dies, or if the family relocates away from Burdekin shire.

Comments are closed.