Owners may keep Guard Dogs subject to a number of conditions.
The occupier of land on which a guard dog is to be kept must:
- Display conspicuously at all times on each entrance into the property on which the dog is kept, a notice in black lettering on a white background, not less than 50mm in height and readily legible with the words “BEWARE-DANGEROUS GUARD DOG”;
- Ensure that the dog is effectively contained on the allotment;
- Demonstrate the keeper can exercise effective control over the dog;
- Provide a mechanism whereby safe public access is provided for persons whose occupation requires entry on to the property to perform statutory duties or community functions;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the responsibility of keeping a guard dog and a capacity to exercise appropriate control over such animal.
An application and associated fee apply to guard dogs kept at or on land/premises within the Shire per site. In addition the applicable registration fee also applies. See Council’s fees and charges for current fees.
Who to Contact