Council receives many questions regarding the Building Certification process. To make life easier we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions.

When is a Building Permit required?

Building permits are required for all building works. This includes:

  • New dwellings, units, duplexes or townhouses;
  • Erection of relocated dwellings;
  • Alterations and additions to existing buildings;
  • Commercial buildings (shops, factories, offices, high rise apartments up to 3 storeys or 2000sqm, motels, factories, warehouses, health care building, schools, child care, tenancy fit-outs etc);
  • New Structures (sheds, pergolas, lawn lockers and shade sails);
  • Cold rooms and shipping containers;
  • Fences over 2 metres and retaining walls;
  • Swimming pools and spas;
  • Demolition or removal of buildings; and
  • Re-roofs

Why do I need a Building Permit?

It is an offence under the Planning Act to begin building work without obtaining a Building Permit.  Offenders may be liable to legal action.

Our Building Certifiers will assess the application, provide professional advice and carry out the required inspections.

Does the Council have to approve all building work?

Our building department offers a professional service for all your building projects, however, legislation was changed by the State Government in 1998 to enable private building certifiers, not employed by Council, to approve building works.

In what areas does the Burdekin Shire carry out certification work?

The Burdekin Shire building inspectors carry out certification work within the Burdekin region

How long does it take to get a Building Permit approval?

We offer a fast approval process with a turn-around-time on properly made applications within 10 business day.

What do I need to submit to Council to obtain a permit?

When submitting an application to be approved the following is required:

How many copies are required?

Several copies of the above documentation are required for distribution as follows:

  • A copy to be kept on file at Burdekin Shire Council for future accessibility when required e.g. sale of property or new building works
  • Copy to registered builder
  • Copy to owner
  • Copy to the applicant if not the owner or builder

Contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on (07) 4783 9800 for a complete requirement checklist and quantities required.

How much will a Building Permit cost?

Fees are set by Council as at 1st July each year. Council building fees are broken up into two costs:-

  • A Lodgement fee which covers administration and processing of the application.
  • An assessment fee which covers the certifier assessing and approving the documentation and carrying out all relevant inspections with certificates being issued.

How can I pay my fees?

Fees can be paid by cash, eftpos, cheque/money order or credit card.

How do I know if the works have been approved?

Once the application has been approved by the certifier you will receive a Development Application Decision Notice.  This will list the nominated conditions which apply to your approval.

Inspection Records

Council’s Nominated Conditions which apply to your Approval can be found on the Development Application Decision Notice.  Inspections are carried out when called for by the building contractor/owner builder as per the approved plans and Standard Building Regulation at the time. Inspections do not represent any form of supervision over the builder.

Building inspections can be booked through Council’s Customer Service Centre by calling (07) 4783 9800.

How do I get a copy of my house plans?

The Burdekin Shire Council can issue you with a copy of your house plans provided we have these on file.  (Please note fees apply).  Should someone else request a copy of your house plans on your behalf, consent is required before releasing these.

How do I know exactly where my boundary is?

The Burdekin Shire Council recommends that you try finding the original pegs, or contact the Department of Environmental Resource Management (DERM) to obtain a copy of the original survey plan. However, if this is unsuccessful you should contact a private surveyor to locate the exact boundary line.

Variation to the Building Line

The act requires certain distances from boundaries when erecting structures. Please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on (07) 4783 9800 to determine if a relaxation to the building line is required.

Building applications can be lodged with the accompanying application fee:

By Mail

Attention Customer Service Centre
Burdekin Shire Council
PO Box 974
AYR QLD 4807

In Person

145 Young Street, AYR
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 5.00pm



Building Queries

Phone (07) 47 83 9800
Fax (07) 47 83 9999

Comments are closed.