Flood Risk Reduction

Burdekin Shire Council adopted a Floor Heights for Habitable Buildings Policy to build a more resilient community and to mitigate the risks of floods.

It is not possible to conclude if a particular property may flood in the future by only considering past flooding.  Instead, Council have commissioned a flood study which uses computer calculations in conjunction with established scientific principles to map a wider extent of potential floods.

Members of the public are now able to access the Floor Heights for Habitable Buildings Policy and data gathered through the flood study by applying for a 1% AEP Flood Certificate using the links below.

1% AEP Flood Certificates

1% AEP- means a 1% Annual Exceedance Probability.  Each year there is a 1% chance of a flooding event of this nature occurring.  The 1% AEP Flood Certificate provides applicants with information specific to a particular property.

Building Approvals and Flood Certificates

In line with the Floor Heights for Habitable Buildings Policy a 1% AEP flood certificate will be required to accompany any building application or lodgement of building approval for any property captured within the flood study and triggered under the Policy.

Exemptions to Policy

The Policy does not apply to non habitable buildings (e.g. sheds or carports).  An exemption is included in the policy for additions to existing lowset dwellings that represent a less than 50% increase to the habitable floor space.  That means that existing lowset dwellings can have alterations or additions added without having to create a “split level” home to comply with the policy.  Existing highset dwellings will only be allowed to enclose beneath if the floor height of the lower level will comply with the Policy.

Flood Information

Council will only supply flood information in writing.  It will not give verbal flood information about a property over the phone.

Council does not presently have flood maps available for individual properties that can be downloaded from its website.  Our Customer Service Officers can advise if flood data is available for your property.

The insurance industry uses its own estimates of flood risk and its own definitions for flooding, which may differ when compared with Council’s information.  Council has not supplied its flood information to private insurance companies.  You should talk to your insurance company to find out if a flood certificate may influence your insurance premium.


There is a fee to apply for a 1% AEP Certificate.  Please check Council’s Fees and Charges for more information.

Who to Contact

For additional information about Flood Certificates …

Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.

You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.

Customer Service Centre

Google Map
145 Young Street,
Ayr Qld 4807
Postal AddressPO Box 974
Ayr Qld 4807
Opening hours8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)
(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
Fax(07) 4783 9999
OnlineUse the Online Contact Form

Building Certification and Plumbing Officers

Early OpeningPlease phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need to access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.

Media Enquiries

For all media enquiries please email

Compliments and Complaints

The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the
> Complaints, compliments and suggestions page.

Privacy Notice

We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:

  • you consented to the disclosure
  • you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
  • it is required or authorised by law
  • it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
  • the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.

Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.

Comments are closed.