During disasters, emergency services may not be able to reach you because of high winds, fire, floodwater, fallen powerlines or debris across the road. Emergency Services will be focused on assisting the most vulnerable in the community during an event.
That’s why you need to be prepared to evacuate or ‘camp indoors’ for at least three days.
Prepare the following items and keep them in a sturdy, easily transported bag or box.
- Battery operated radio (with spare batteries)
- Torch (with spare batteries)
- Candles, lighter and water proof matches
- First aid kit and manual
- Combination pocket knife
- Portable (gas) stove with fuel
- Cooking gear
- Water in sealed containers (10L per person)
- Medications additional supplies
- Toiletry and sanitary supplies
- Change of clothes and strong shoes
- Nonperishable food (cans) – enough for 3 to 4 days (can opener and utensils)
- Special needs items for infants, the aged and people with disabilities
- Pet food, water and other animal needs
- Tent or tarpaulin, and blankets
- Other camping equipment
- Cash (ATMs may not be available)
- Personal documents (insurance certificates, photographs etc)
- Strong plastic bags (for clothing and valuables etc)
- Emergency phone numbers
Preparing your Emergency Kit is easy! Use the Get Ready Queensland template shown below:
- Get Ready 3-Prepare your Emergency Kit - (pdf 950.95 kB)
Visit the Get Ready Queensland website for your emergency and evacuation kit checklists.