- Clean up the yard.
- Trim trees and over hanging branches.
- Keep your roof in good condition and check it regularly.
- Remove debris from gutters.
- Check and fix loose fittings, such as railings.
- Check windows and install shutters if possible.
- Get to know your neighbours.
- Hold a family meeting to prepare your household Emergency Plan so everyone knows what to do, where to meet, and how to get out.
- Identify how and where to turn off the mains supply for water, power and gas.
- Store poisons up high.
Getting your home prepared is easy! Use the Get Ready Queensland template shown below:
- Get Ready 4-Prepare your Home - (pdf 253.16 kB)
- Ensure your car insurance is current and that it covers your asset adequately.
- When severe weather warnings are issued, park vehicles under cover, away from trees, power lines and waterways.
- Ensure your car is fully fuelled.
Getting your car prepared is easy! Use the Get Ready Queensland template shown below:
- Get Ready 8-Prepare your Car - (pdf 269.89 kB)
Maritime Safety Queensland recommends that mariners plan, prepare and follow advice when it comes to severe weather season.
- Get a copy of the Extreme Weather Event Contingency Plan for your area and read it.
- Explore your suggested shelter area or inlet before cyclone season starts.
- Update your contact details with the authorities.
- Organise options to move your boat if you will be away during severe weather season.
- Keep a record of emergency telephone numbers handy – for example:
- Port of Townsville – (07) 4781 1600
- Regional Harbour Master – (07) 4421 8100
- Townsville Water Police – (07) 4759 9790
- Volunteer Marine Rescue Burdekin – (07) 4783 1014
- Volunteer Marine Rescue Bowen – (07) 4786 1950
- Volunteer Marine Rescue Whitsunday – (07) 4946 7207
- Queensland Police Service – Emergencies: 000 Policelink: 131 444
- Know when and where your vessel needs to be during an evacuation.
- Use suitable lines to secure your boat. Double up on mooring lines. Check they are in good condition and are the right size and length.
- Secure loose articles below deck.
- Secure all hatches.
- Check your boat is watertight.
- Reduce wind loading and remove furled sails and covers, bimini tops and any clears.
- Check all bilge pumps work and that all self draining holes are clear.
You can view the Extreme Weather Event Contingency Plan for Townsville – 2016/2017 using the link below:
- Extreme Weather Event Contingency Plan for Townsville – 2016/2017 - (pdf 127.55 kB)