Before installing a driveway or access to a property, an application form must be made to Council so that levels can be set for grading and drainage purposes.  A fee applies if the driveway is a second access.

Application forms should be submitted at least five working days before construction commences, so as to allow Council’s Design Office to inspect the area, take levels and design a suitable grade for the crossover.

Application for the Construction of a Crossover/Driveway

Details on how to apply to construct a permanent crossover or driveway at your property.


An application is to be made to Council when a concrete crossover/driveway or a new or additional driveway is to be installed.


Types of driveways covered by the application form include:-

  • Concrete the driveway (normal driveway);
  • Construct an exposed aggregate driveway (like a pebble tex driveway);
  • Construct a crossover (a culvert type driveway – rural area);
  • Construct an industrial crossover (for an industrial business where large trucks need to use the driveway and a stronger driveway is required); and
  • Construct an additional access (where there is already an access and another access is to be put in).

When an application is made, Council Technical Officers will set the levels for the driveway for drainage purposes and also check for any Council services, i.e. water pipes, that might be under the driveway location.  Applicants will receive notification of approval by post but may proceed with works once the “white pegs” or level markers have been set.  Applicants should contact Dial Before You Dig on 1100 before doing any work to make sure there are no underground services in the area to be excavated.

Please Note:

Council does not set levels for a Material Change of Use (MCU) application.  The plans issued by the designer should show the levels for all crossovers at a scale of 1:50 and these will be assessed by Council.


A fee only applies if the applicant requires an additional access to the property.

Who to Contact

If you would like to install any of the above…

Please contact the Customer Service Centre using the Online Contact Form.

You can also contact the Customer Service Centre using one of the following methods.

Customer Service Centre

Google Map
145 Young Street,
Ayr Qld 4807
Postal AddressPO Box 974
Ayr Qld 4807
Opening hours8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays)
(07) 4783 9800 – Business hours
(07) 4783 9800 – After hours (the same number)
Fax(07) 4783 9999
OnlineUse the Online Contact Form

Building Certification and Plumbing Officers

Early OpeningPlease phone (07) 4783 9942 if you need to access the Building and Plumbing Department between 7am – 8am, Monday to Friday.

Media Enquiries

For all media enquiries please email

Compliments and Complaints

The Burdekin Shire Council is committed to an open and friendly relationship with members of our community. Whether you’re telling us what we do well, or how we can improve, your feedback is important to us.If you would like to provide a compliment or complaint regarding actions or decisions made by Council, or by one of our councillors or officers, please visit the
> Complaints, compliments and suggestions page.

Privacy Notice

We will only use personal information provided in your email to address the subject matter of your email. This may involve passing on your email to other areas within the council. We will not disclose your personal information to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:

  • you consented to the disclosure
  • you would have a reasonable expectation that your personal information would be disclosed
  • it is required or authorised by law
  • it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to somebody’s life or health; and
  • the disclosure is reasonably necessary for a law enforcement activity.

Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to questions frequently asked about Crossovers and Driveways.


I’ve made application to Council for a cross-over.  What happens now?

After your application is received by Council, Technical Officers will visit the site and take levels to determine the existing grades between the crown of the road and the location of the crossover.  If levels can be set on-site, usually white pegs are placed in the ground offset from either side of the proposed crossover.  When the levels are too steep, Council will liase with the applicant for the best possible outcome.

What Council fees are applicable?

There is no fee for a first crossover, but an additional crossover at the same property will attract a fee which can be found in Council’s latest Fees and Charges.

What are the minimum specifications for a standard residential concrete crossover?

The crossover should have a minimum thickness of 100 mm, using at least 25 mPa concrete and F72 mesh reinforcement.  The minimum width of a standard residential crossover is four meters with the maximum 6 metres.

What are the minimum specifications for a standard industrial concrete crossover?

Counci’s Design Office will assess each application as it comes to hand.  It will normally be installed using a higher strength concrete and have a greater minimum thickness than a standard residential crossover due to the nature of the vehicles that will be using it.

Who pays for any civil works involved in constructing the crossover?

The customer pays for all works associated with constructing the crossover including any applicable fee to Council.  Private contractors can be engaged to construct the crossover for you.


Comments are closed.