Waste Management Facilities
Giru Transfer Station
Transfer stations are not a landfill or dump. They are designed to receive local residents' domestic self-hauled waste and recycling that can be separated into various waste streams for transfer and disposal to recycling facilities or the landfill.
Council offers free disposal for the majority of household waste for Burdekin residents only. You may be asked to provide proof of Burdekin residency.
To take advantage of this you must separate the waste from the recyclable items.
Fees apply to all unsorted domestic waste and commercial waste. Fees apply to certain recyclable items.
See Council's Fees and Charges for more information.
The following items can be recycled at the Giru Transfer Stations for FREE if you sort them from your domestic waste.
- Household recyclables including plastics (1-5), cardboard and paper, aluminum, steel cans and foil trays, and glass bottles and jars;
- Greenwaste including logs and stumps
- Batteries including car batteries, rechargable batteries and household batteries (See Council's A-Z of waste for a full list)
- Fluro lightbulbs
- Scrap metal and household appliances (i.e. washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, ovens microwaves etc),
- Undegassed and degassed domestic white goods and air-conditioners
- Degassed commerical white goods and air-conditioners
- Gas bottles and fire extinguishers (domestic only)
- Used cooking oil (up to 20 litres)
- Used motor oil (up to 6 litres)
- Used oil filters (no more than 3)
- E Waste (TVs, computers and printers etc – See the E Waste section of our A-Z listing for a full list)
- Cardboard (must be flattened)
- Small quantity of timber (up to half a ute load or small trailer load - Refer to timber acceptance guideline fact sheet)
- Household furniture and goods, toys, bikes, brick a brac, tools etc in good reusable condition
- DrumMUSTER drums (For further details see the Agricultural Waste page)
The following items are recycled at the Giru Transfer Station but required a disposal fee:
- Un-degassed commercial whitegoods
- Un-degassed commercial air-conditioners
- Commercial cardboard
- Commercial gas bottles
- Commerial fire extinguishers
- Mattresses (processed to remove metal for recycling) Note: no charge applies to baby/cot mattresses and foam mattresses less than 5cm thick
- Used cooking oil (more than 20 litres)
- Used motor oil (more than 6 litres)
- Used oil filters (more than 3)