Do you want FREE access to award-winning documentaries, independent features and festival favourites to delight, inspire and entertain you?
As a Burdekin Library member you can access this free streaming service.
Impact of COVID-19
Kanopy is a pay per view platform. The doubling of usage of the Kanopy service since COVID-19 began has had a huge financial impact as we are constrained by the existing 2020-21 budget allocation. The initial strategy to address this was to reduce view credits to 4 views per month, but this has not been effective in reducing expenditure. Rather than cancel the service, the State Library of Queensland has negotiated with the vendor for access to be limited to new release titles and this change will be implemented in December.
What is Kanopy?
Kanopy showcases more than 30,000 of the world’s best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, and world cinema with collections from Umbrella Entertainment, Madman Entertainment, Under the Milky Way, SND Films and thousands of independent filmmakers.
There is a special “KIDS” collection and parental controls can be set to ensure younger viewers cannot access inappropriate material.
Kanopy is FREE for users with a library card; all users need to do to get started streaming films is to visit Burdekin Library’s Kanopy site.
How do I use Kanopy?
- Create an account using one of the following three methods: Facebook, Google, or email address. If you already have an account, simply click the orange “Log in” button and enter your information.
- If you have registered with an email address and password, go to your Inbox to verify your email address. Go back to Kanopy and add your library card number and PIN.
- You can stream films from Roku, iOS, and Android devices using the free Kanopy app, which is available from your device’s app store.
- You can use Chromecast or Apple TV to access Kanopy. Visit the Kanopy help pages for detailed instructions on how to use Chromecast, Apple TV, and other methods to access Kanopy.
- From 1 October you have 4 play credits every month so you can view up to 4 films per month. (This is a reduced number due to 2020-21 budget restrictions.) Kanopy Kids titles will not require any play credits to view. There is also a “Credit-Free” shelf on the Kanopy homepage.
- Once you press play you have three days to watch each film as many times as you like.
- Play credits reset on the 1st of the month
The service is easy to use so come and join our Burdekin Library Kanopy community!!
Burdekin Library no longer subscribes to Beamafilm. We are investigating another streaming service which could be available early in 2021.