Local history collection
If you are conducting any local or family research, the local history area at the library may be a place to visit. There are local history books, books written by Burdekin locals, photos and other material available containing local information. We are committed to conserving print and photograph materials that document our region’s past, and welcome donations to the collection. Items from this collection are available for use in the library and are not available for loan.
The following items can be viewed on the microfiche reader/scanner in the Burdekin Library :-
- The Advocate from 1938 on microfilm
- The Home Hill Observer from 1923-2014 on microfilm
- The Port Denison (Bowen) papers from 1864-1910 on microfilm
- Queensland births, deaths and marriage records on microfiche
- Queensland State Archives shipping registers from the 1860′s until the early 1900′s on microfiche.
Current hard copies of The Advocate are also available in the Burdekin Library.